5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 2:47 PM by Beauty_and_dBest

db_recovery_file_dest

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

EBS R12.2.4

11gR2

Rhel6.5

If I set   db_recovery_file_dest   = /u01/FRA

Does this mean it is directing my RMAN backup to this folder? So this is for the benefit of RMAN backup?

What If run my rman as > backup as compressed backupset database plus archivelog format '/u01/RMAN/db_%U'; 

Which folder will be used or followed?

Please help....

Thanks a lot,

jc

• 1. Re: db_recovery_file_dest
          Bashar.

Hi,

If you use the last command then the path you typed will be used.

The rman backup will be generated by default in the folder specified in the initialization parameter "LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n".

If you have the following parameter set then the rman will use the FRA as a destination for backups:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 = 'LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST'

Edit: To clear things I have to mention that if you set a value to the parameter "LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n" other than the example above then it will use that location instead of the FRA. If you don't set a value then it will use the FRA.

Regards,

Bashar

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: db_recovery_file_dest
            Pravin Takpire

Hi,

DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST specifies the default location for the flash recovery area. The flash recovery area contains multiplexed copies of current control files and online redo logs, as well as archived redo logs, flashback logs, and RMAN backups.

regards

Pravin

• 3. Re: db_recovery_file_dest
              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks all,

Ok I rephrase my questiom > What If run my rman as > backup as compressed backupset database  format '/u01/RMAN/db_%U';

Will this override the FRA? I presume  my database backup will be written in /u01/RMAN folder   even if I set my recovery_file_dest = /u01/FRA   right?

Kind regards,

• 4. Re: db_recovery_file_dest
                Bashar.

Ok I rephrase my questiom > What If run my rman as > backup as compressed backupset database  format '/u01/RMAN/db_%U';

Will this override the FRA? I presume  my database backup will be written in /u01/RMAN folder   even if I set my recovery_file_dest = /u01/FRA   right?

Yes

• 5. Re: db_recovery_file_dest
                  Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks ALL