3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 10:13 AM by Bashar.

Java 7 support for Oracle EBS 12.1

GUGGI

Hello

I have a confusion around Java 7 support period for Oracle ebs 12.1

Reading various articles - > Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap as well as http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-middleware-069163.pdf , I can see that the Java 7 has premier support until July 2019.

But then there are 2 rows for Java SE 7 support

Java SE 7 (Excluding Deployment Technology) Jul 2011 Jul 2019 Jul 2022 Indefinite

Java SE 7 Deployment Technology (Java Web Start & Java PlugIn technologies) * Jul 2011 Jul 2016 Not Available Indefinite

I am trying to understand under which line does Oracle EBS falls.

The support note 1640397.1 explains what RIA ( rich internet applications ) means . I am not able to figure out whether I should categorize EBS under RIA or not.

In saying that , the premier support period for EBS 12.1 will accordingly change to either July 2016 or July 2019.

Help appreciated.

AU

• 1. Re: Java 7 support for Oracle EBS 12.1
          Bashar.

Hi,

From the first link, the deployment technology consists of Java Plugin and Web Start. Oracle EBS client side application uses the Java plugin.

Therefore, the use of JRE 7 is possible until July 2016 (JRE 6 is available until June 2017).

On the other hand, the Java SE on the server side (application and database) is not considered a deployment technology and therefore it is supported for 8 years from the GA date.

Regards,

Bashar

• 2. Re: Java 7 support for Oracle EBS 12.1
            GUGGI

Thanks Bashar.

I had a similar thought but then I dont see too much noise about this deadline.

If I am understanding this correct, it means we cant apply Java 7 updates on client machines post July 2016 cause the updates wont include the deployment technologies. And that would force us to go to Java 8 from security point of view.

I have raised this question on Steven Chan's blog. Curious to  know what he says.

AU

• 3. Re: Java 7 support for Oracle EBS 12.1
              Bashar.

If I am understanding this correct, it means we cant apply Java 7 updates on client machines post July 2016 cause the updates wont include the deployment technologies. And that would force us to go to Java 8 from security point of view.

That's true.

This is not a pressing matter as there is an alternative which is going with Java 8.

There is one issue that is causing more "noise", which is stopping Java support in Chrome (since 1-Sep-2015) and Firefox (by the end of 2016)!

Regards,

Bashar