5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 8:58 AM by rmoff

OBIEE Usage Tracking

user8590399

Hi All,

I am currently exploring OBIEE Usage Tracking report and wanted to check few things.

There is a report which just gives 1 record and for most of the user the report run time i.e.Total Time Secs shows 1-2 secs.

However, I also see an entry for some user where it took 650+ secs to show the result. The report cannot have performance issue as its just basic report with 1 table.

Is there any specific reason it shows higher total time secs?

I know If the user submitting the query navigates away from the page before the query finishes, then the final fetch never happens, and a timeout value of 3600 is recorded. But that should not be the case here.

Is Usage Tracking not the full proof solution to find how long a report took to show results?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

• 1. Re: OBIEE Usage Tracking
          Christian Berg

user8590399 wrote:

The report cannot have performance issue as its just basic report with 1 table.

Really? Can it not? Honestly you can't make that statement without a proper analysis of what's happening. Also: never underestimate just how badly a database (plus the disks plus the network etc) can be managed. Performance variances of 10x (so 1000%) are really no surprise once you've done a lot of performance analyses.

• 2. Re: OBIEE Usage Tracking
            user8590399

Thanks Berg for the reply. But before I posted I already did initial investigation and that query returns result in less than 2-3 secs after clearing the cache. I wanted to check why for a particular user it took more than 10-12 mins.

And what I can do to investigate further.

• 3. Re: OBIEE Usage Tracking
              rmoff

Usage Tracking tells you how long the BI Server was working on the logical query, including holding open the ODBC cursor for the client (typically, Presentation Services).

The time in Usage Tracking often does match up what the end-user will experience, but not always. Things like reports paging through data etc will give a higher total time in Usage Tracking than the user experiences for the initial display of data.

Put it this way:

• If the users are complaining that the report took 650 seconds to return, and Usage Tracking says 650, then it took 650
              • If the users phone up and say their report takes 300 seconds to return, and Usage Tracking says 650, then it took 300
              • If Usage Tracking says 650 and the users haven't reported anything, then it may or may not be 650 - you can't make that assumption

By looking at logs further up the line (eg sawlog with greater debug level) you can trace a specific query's response time through the stack. Even then, you can only time the point at which it departed the HTTP server (WLS) - if the user is on a slow network and/or slow-rendering browser then it make take even longer.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: OBIEE Usage Tracking
                user8590399

Thank you. I understand your point. Is there any way to get the actual time taken using Usage Tracking.?

• 5. Re: OBIEE Usage Tracking
                  rmoff

Thank you. I understand your point. Is there any way to get the actual time taken using Usage Tracking.?

No.