6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 6:06 PM by rp0428

Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3

Raghav.786

Hi

I have an installed SQL Developer version 1.5.5 at below location in my PC.

Windows Start Button -> All Programs -> OracleClient11g_Home1 -> Application Development -> SQL Developer

Using New Connection widow I created a connection of Basic type by entering Schema Name/Password, Hostname, Port & SID. The connection was success and I was able to work on that.

As 1.5.5 was too old, I downloaded SQL Developer 4.1.3.20 from Oracle site (Windows 64-bit with JDK8 included) and extrated the zipped copy to a new folder. I opened the developer and tested a connection of Basic type by entering Schema Name/Password, Hostname, Port & SID.

But this ended in IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish connection.

Why does the system throw the error with latest version when it was successful with 1.5.5 version?

Could somebody help to resolve this and tell me the reason for the same?

System Type: 64-bit operating system

• 1. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3
          Why does the system throw the error with latest version when it was successful with 1.5.5 version?

It throws it for the same reason it ALWAYS throws it: the DB you are trying to connect to can't be found using the info you provided to it.

Could somebody help to resolve this and tell me the reason for the same?

Not really - not until you SHOW US:

1. WHAT you do

2. HOW you do it

3. WHAT results you get

We can't see your screen so can't see whether you really entered the same info on the same machine or not.

Post the info people need to help you.

• 2. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3
            Gary Graham-Oracle

a connection of Basic type by entering Schema Name/Password, Hostname, Port & SID.

If the connection details really are exactly the same for both the 1.5.5. and 4.1.3 cases, you still have to consider that...

1. SID has long been deprecated in favor of SERVICE_NAME (although SID will still work in many cases).

2. The 1.5.5 release shipped with a 11.1.0.6 JDBC driver while 4.1.3 ships with a 12.1.0.2 JDBC driver.

So, without knowing anything more about what you have done, I would suggest trying SERVICE_NAME in place of SID.  Even better, if you have a local tnsnames.ora file, configure Tools > Preferences > Database > Advanced to point at its owning directory and create the connection using the TNS type.  

• 3. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3
              Raghav.786

Hi rp0428,

Thanks for your reply. The connection details I entered are exactly same and I made sure that as I tried it so many times.

I can not share the original connection details as it is private info.

I don't under stand what else you need. I mentioned what is that I tried and what was the error message is

"I created a connection of Basic type by entering Schema Name/Password, Hostname, Port & SID. The connection was success and I was able to work."

But the exactly same connection details gave IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish connection when I tried in newly downloaded SQL Developer 4.1.3.20.

• 4. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3
                Raghav.786

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I entered exactly the same details. I can not share the original connection details as it is private info.

Kindly let me know if there any way we can figure out this problem ?

I tried with TNS Names too as you mentioned above. but ended in same error.

• 5. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

If the connection details are correct, I suppose the next most common reason for "IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish connection" is that the listener is not running.  Of course, you did not share any connection details, so we do not know if this database is local or remote.  If local, check your listener's status by running the following from the command line...

lsnrctl status

If it is not running, or it does not know about the service specified in the connection details (apparently the SID in your case), then you need to do the necessary combination of...

1. Start the listener.

2. Start the service (if it is not running).

3. Adjust the connection details to use a correct, known service name (SID and SERVICE_NAME could be the same, but...)

The most interesting test would be to have both 1.5.5 and 4.1.3 open at the same time and see if the connection only works on 1.5.5. That would be quite strange.

• 6. Re: Network Adapter Error with SQL Developer 4.1.3

I can not share the original connection details as it is private info.

Then you need to create a NEW connection with details that you can post.

Yes I entered exactly the same details.

I don't believe you - I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure you THINK you entered the same thing but you likely made a typo or perhaps entered a non-visible character.

When Oracle/SqlDev produces an exception I believe Oracle/SqlDev.

I don't under stand what else you need. I mentioned what is that I tried and what was the error message is

We need to see EXACTLY what you used so we can SEE what you did the same and/or what you did differently. We also need to verify that you tried the connection from the SAME machine and TO the same database.

You'd be surprised how many people fail to use cut and paste to make SURE they enter the same thing in two places and then on the thread they post.

Also people will use one version of Sql Dev on the host but the other version was used in a VM (e.g. VirtualBox). Those are NOT the same. The VM has its own issues to deal with.

Those two versions of sql dev REQUIRE two different versions of the JDBC driver. Did you verify that each version is using ONLY the driver it is supposed to be using?