1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 10:11 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error when trying to connect database to sqlplus

Hey guys im a beginner when dealing with oracle and sqlplus and i keep getting this error "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" when i try to connect to oracle 12c database with sqlplus.Ive spent over 8 hours trying to fix this and after scouting most of the forum i decided to post because i havent a clue what to do now

Even with i input sys as sysdba i get this error.I made sure and took down all the usernames and passwords i had to when installing but still it seems to give this error.

I also tried starting all the oracle services but to no avail.

I have installed Oracle 12c and oracle developer suite on windows 10 64bit

Anyhelp is appreciated .

• 1. Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error when trying to connect database to sqlplus
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Welcome!

I hope in the future you don't want 8 hours to ask for help.

Before we can help you, we need to know more about what is happening.

oracle 12c database with sqlplus

• is this a database you have installed, or a database already running in your environment?
          • this isn't the SQL*Plus forum, but connectivity issues would be similar if you were using SQL Developer
          • what is your connection string, e.g. how are you attempting to connect?

for example, on my local system, I connect like so:

sqlplus  hr/oracle@localhost:1521/pdb1

hr - username

oracle - password

localhost - the server/network address where the database is running

1521 - the port where the listener is hadnling connection requests for the database

pdb1 - the service name for the database i want to connect to