9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 2:01 PM by VishnuVinnakota

Database backup

EBSR12.1.3

Oracle Database 11gR2

Oracle Linux 6.4

Hello,

everyday I have to do a cold backup of my database(shutdown all services). I wanted to delete a file in same directory as data folder but unfortunately I deleted part of the data folder. Some files in it were deleted(some a_txn files, some system files, 1 data file). Luckily I had a backup I took 2 days ago and managed to restore.

is it possible for me to retrieve all the data the day data folder I deleted? If I copy the datafiles in the deleted data folder and replace them in the restored data folder will it work?

Thanks and Regards

Roshan

• 1. Re: Database backup
          EDUL

Hi Roshan,

Is your database was in archived enable? if yes then you can restore your database before two days and then apply the archive to make your database up to date.

if no,  then it will recover up to last clod backup date.

Regards

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Database backup

Hi,

yes I just checked it. It is archive enabled with flasback on. How to I proceed? Currently I am running the database with backup I took on 2.13.2016. The data folder(with some deleted files) I deleted on  2.16.2016

Regards

Roshan

• 3. Re: Database backup
              EDUL

Hi,

Can you tell me the which file you have lost exactly.

Regards

• 4. Re: Database backup

exactly I do not know. I know a_txn_data02.dbf, a_txn_data05.dbf, archive, a_archive01, 2 control files(cntrl02,cntrl03), system07, system09 were corrupted.

• 5. Re: Database backup
                  VishnuVinnakota

Restore any previous days backup and use the archive log files to recover those datafiles.

Let me know if you need assistance in commands.

• 6. Re: Database backup

Hi,

in fact the data folder I accidentally deleted part of it on 16.2.2016(Tuesday). I had a restored last backup on Saturday(13.2.2016)[replaced the deleted data folder with that on Saturday(13.2.2016)]. Then i only started it.

I think it will not be possible to recover data on Monday(15.2.2016) and Tuesday(16.2.2016). If yes how?

Rgds

Roshan

• 7. Re: Database backup
                      VishnuVinnakota

Did you delete the archive logs also? Simple question is Do you have all archives for required dates? If yes, then you can recover using until cancel or until time.

Even if you have these archives present in PROD site or some where else, you can copy them again. Backup only archives logs again if required again and copy them here and then recover.

• 8. Re: Database backup

Yes. the archive logs folder was deleted. I copied the archive folder from previous backup into the corrupted one. How do I proceed?

From what I understood, unless the archive folder is there, if only data files in the system is corrupted, it will be possible to restore.

If any files or even all files in the data folder is corrupted, except the archive log folder, then still will it be possible to restore?

Thanks and Rgds

• 9. Re: Database backup
                          VishnuVinnakota

Datafiles are needed for archive logs to be applied.

However, if you have archives of database from the beginning of creation of Data File, then you can create an empty datafile and use archives to recover it. I don't think this is your case now.

So, in simple words, archive logs are critical to recover.

1 person found this helpful