1 person found this helpful
Sounds like the preferences file is messed up. You might need to restore your preferences to the defaults by deleting your renaming your system directory in the Windows AppData folder for SQL Developer.
Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work. It was worth a shot though.
You don't say which version you're running?
I am using the latest version, 126.96.36.199
The best workaround I can offer is to un-pin the grids or close them as you're done with them.
Are you sure you deleted the right directory?
I think I did...
These are the directories I deleted.
...\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer and
That workaround is what I have been doing, and it is very annoying. That's why I am trying to solve this issue.
Yup. So i'm officially stumped.
Thank you for trying to help
Hopefully someone else has some thoughts.
GRR! Now, my desktop computer just started doing it as well. I am completely lost for words. I have no clue what could be causing this... the common denominator here is me.
If you are only running one SQL statement at a time with Run Statement (Ctrl+Enter), then I am also stumped.
However if you are selecting the text of multiple SQL statements in the worksheet, regardless of the state of the Show query results in new tabs preference, then the results tabs of those statements will always be pinned since there will be more than one result grid and we would not want each successive result to replace the one before it, only leaving the last result.
Could that be the scenario you are running?
Nice catch Gary. I totally overlooked that use case/scenario.
That's not the case, and I, too, would expect multiple Query Result tabs for running multiple queries. But, that's not the case.
Surprisingly, my work laptop is now showing one Query Result tab. I haven't done anything to the settings. I must be doing something that is causing this, but I am stomped as to what that is.
I wrote the above statement and just before hitting the "Add Reply" button, I ran a query just to be sure, and the issue reappeared. This makes absolutely no sense.
I think I am getting a little bit closer to my problem. I was digging more into Gary's line of thinking. It looks like the issue has to do with the query itself, even though it is one SQL statement.
Check this out... if I run this query, I almost always get multiple tabs (sometimes I don't).
TYPE IS NULL
CLASS != 'Real Estate' OR CLASS IS NULL
If I comment out the and clause, and run the Query again, I do not get the multiple tabs. Sometimes I do still get it, but if I comment out the WHERE and AND clauses, I do not get multiple tabs.
This is really weird.
In order to help isolate what is going on in your environment, consider the following...
1. To test multiple instances of user settings (migrated, not migrated,
etc) for a specific SQL Developer release, add something like the
following line to your sqldeveloper.conf file:
AddVMOption -Dide.user.dir=<full path to owning directory of current test version of the system188.8.131.52.78 folder> -- for example, C:/SQLDevUserSetting1
2. You can verify the value of Show query results in new tabs by checking the product-preferences.xml file. It defaults to false, and probably has something like...
<value n="AUTOPIN_RESULTS_TABS" v="false"/>
3. If you really think it is the query, provide a full test case with DDL
and insert statements with test data, or use a WITH-clause to simulate
test data as in...
with mydb as (
select 'UpperDivision' as type, 'Math211' as class from dual union all
select 'LowerDivision' as type, 'Math1A' as class from dual union all
select null as type, null as class from dual union all
select null as type, 'First Aid' as class from dual union all
select null as type, 'Real Estate' as class from dual
select count(*) from mydb
where type is NULL and (class != 'Real Estate' or class is null);
4. I suppose we are all assuming this is for an Oracle connection, but you should elaborate on that.
SQL Developer Team