5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 11:51 AM by VishnuVinnakota

redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?

Dan A

Hi.

This is a similar question to Re: EBS 11i clone question

Old location of redo logs: /u02/oracle/proddata

Ne location of redo logs: /local/oracle/redo

In our PROD instance the redo logs were moved to the new location.

My intention is to  copy these to the target, again with the redo logs set to the new location on the source

Once the copy is done, we run adcfgclone.sh

When it comes to the DATA_TOP question, should I now respond with "2" data tops, and direct the first to /u02/oracle/proddata and the second to /local/oracle/redo  ?

Is Oracle wise enough to know that the redo logs go to /local/oracle/redo ?

As I say, the mighty Hussein answered the above linked question, but that was the inverse of my request.

Thanks and regards,

DA

EBS 12.1.3

DB 11.2.0.4

RHEL 7

• 1. Re: redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?
          VishnuVinnakota

WHat backup are you using to clone?

IF it's a cold backup, you would never require the redo logs at all.

IF it's a hot backup, you will anyway use adcfgclone.pl dbTechStack followed by manual recovery of database where you can create control file and keep all files in one location and simply recover.

• 2. Re: redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?
            Dan A

Hello.

Yes its a cold backup, and I understand about redo logs. Yet I need to tell the clone at some point about the changed location of the redo logs.

My feeling is that specifying 2 data tops will be enough - yet my question remains:

Number of DATA_TOP's on the Target System [1] :

If I enter "2", then give the path to the datafiles for 1, then the path to the redo logs for 2, is that all I need to do?

Control file will get created with this information, and the db will start, and those redo logs are going to written to. Or is there an additional step / preliminary step to take?

DA

• 3. Re: redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?
              VishnuVinnakota

The best way for you is to split dbTechStack and manually bring up database with your own controlfile.

1. Run adcfgclone.pl dbTechStack (Do not worry about DATA_TOP locations at all as you will be bringing up Database Manually)
              2. Create Control File script with required locations
              3. Startup mount
              4. alter database open resetlogs
              5. sqlplus '/ as sysdba' @$ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/install/[CONTEXT NAME]/adupdlib.sql
              6. adcfgclone.pl dbConfig

You are done. Alternatively, specify all the locations of files including Redolog files and run it. Above process will be 100% successful in all the occasions including Hot Backup.

• 4. Re: redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?
                Dan A

This is not a hot backup.

Now that I have specified x2 DATA_TOPs in adcfgclone, once the clone is complete, I mount the db and use alter database rename file to change the location of redologs in database then reopen the instance.

Sadly, I now how x2 control files in the second DATA_TOP!

I think I made a mistake - there is no need to specify in DATA_TOP the second location of redo logs. I think all is needed is to use the alter database rename file command to update the data dictionary with new location . It will then be saved to control file.

Does anyone else agree or disagree?

DA

• 5. Re: redo log change on source, what change to make during clone to target?
                  VishnuVinnakota

Control File locations doesn't matter. Keep whatever you want to keep in PFILE CONTROL_FILES and remove others. Whatever Control File location you specify in pfile, specify those locations in the DATA_TOP.

As I told before, even if its cold backup and you are worrying about recovery/restore, Run dbTechStack and simply connect "sqlplus '/as sysdba' and start database with resetlogs. Ensure control file has all locations of Data Files and RedoLogs. Then run dbConfig.