10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 12:06 AM by nohup

Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result

nohup

Hi,

I like the SQL Developer float worksheet option and always maximixe the floated worksheet window. It would be great if I can get the SQL from the query result pane. I am able to do this in a docked worksheet by pressing "SQL" on the query result pane. When I click SQL in the query result pane in the floated worksheet the popup does open, but it opens in the main window, not the docked one. Is there a way I can get this to work on Windows 7 Professional?

Thanks for your support.

About

-----

Oracle SQL Developer 4.1.3.20

Version 4.1.3.20

Build MAIN-20.78

IDE Version: 12.2.1.0.42.151001.0541

Product ID: oracle.sqldeveloper

Product Version: 12.2.0.20.78

Version

-------

Component Version

========= =======

Oracle IDE 4.1.3.20.78

Java(TM) Platform 1.8.0_60

Versioning Support 4.1.3.20.78

• 1. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
          Gary Graham-Oracle

I do not believe so.  Looks like both the worksheet and the pop-up float relative to the main application window.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
            nohup

Hi,

Enabled Open a worksheet on connect.

Enabled New Worksheet to use unshared connection.

1)

Open SQL Developer, right click on a connection and click on Open SQL Worksheet.

There are two connections now to that connection and two SQL worksheets to the same connection.

(The right click was done when SQL developer was yet to connect to that particular connection.)

2)

2.1)Open SQL developer. Connect to two or more connections, drag a worksheet to the extreme right and manually make a new tab group. I have the option of "Float group" and then, can "Dock group".

2.2)Open SQL developer, connect to two or more connections. Right click  on the worksheet after connect and "New document tab group". This time there is no "Float group"

The floated window does not have a maximize button option. Only a close window button.

3)

Filename for connection startup script under the Preferences-->Database is set to

C:\Users\User_One\Desktop\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper_startup.sql. This file contains

select instance_name from v$instance;

Where can I see the output of the above query? Query result pane or the Script output pane did not show up.

(In case this feature is mutually exclusive with the Skip NLS settings under the Preferences-->Database--> NLS, I tried with Skip NLS settings checked and unchecked)

4)

How to make use of the second unshared connection from the DBA pane while the first connection is still actively running a long query?

5)Open an additional shared connection worksheet(one that uses the same connection). Could get a shared connection worksheet by doing a "Quick DDL" of any one of the tables and "Save the DDL to a worksheet". This way the new worksheet that opened used the same connection. Not sure how else this can be done. This is required because if I open a connection from DBA pane(before opening it from the "connections" pane), the worksheet of the same connection does not open

Is there a way one can mark a question as Unanswered after having it marked "assumed answered"?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

#4 - you can't. unshared connections are ONLY available to the worksheet - hence the name 'unshared'

• 4. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                nohup

how to mark a question "Unanswered" after having it marked "Assumed answered"

OTNDude: Simply add a response and mark it as "correct". After that, assumed answered will change to answered.

Then click the "unmark correct" button and the thread will show unanswered.

• 5. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                  nohup

6)If I copy a query from SQL history I get just the query/DDL/DML. But if I copy multiple queries(control+click) from SQL history I get "connection name", "timestamp","type","executed" and "duration" data along with the queries.

is there a way I can copy just the query(multiple queries) while I copy from SQLhistory?

FYI I used drag and drop here to copy from SQL history and paste it to SQL worksheet

Thanks for your support

• 6. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

6)If I copy a query from SQL history I get just the query/DDL/DML. But if I copy multiple queries(control+click) from SQL history I get "connection name", "timestamp","type","executed" and "duration" data along with the queries.

That is really weird!  I'm not seeing the same behavior in my environment.  After selecting multiple queries in SQL History, not necessarily consecutive lines, I can either drap & drop or use the double arrows in the SQL History toolbar to append to or replace the contents of the worksheet.  I only get the SQL query text inserted into the worksheet, not the other listed attributes from history.  This is on WIndows 7 with a slightly more recent version of the JDK (jdk1.8.0_73).

If you...

1. Exit SQL Developer

2. Rename the SqlHistory.xml and SqlHistory folders in user settings under the %APPDATA%\SQL Developer folder

3. Then relaunch the product, generate some SQL History, and try your test of drag & drop to the worksheet

does it still bring along the other history attributes? 

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                      nohup

Okay. Sorry I did not notice that double arrow in the SQL history toolbar. That is just what I want. I will not be using drag and drop henceforth.

The behaviour of drag and drop is still exactly how I explained.

I then tried what you explained by going to path given by echo %APPDATA%, and renamed the SqlHistory directory, ran a few queries and this time while I dragged and dropped only the queries were copied. Without other attributes.

Although the last clicked query does not get dragged. Only the queries starting first clicked to the second-last clicked get dropped to the worksheet.

I used "SQL Developer with JDK" while I downloaded. I will change it to the latest version.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                        nohup

Issue 1

sql_developer_error - Copy.png

I dont use the Shift+F4 because it does not show me the DDL. I use the schema browser very often. After filtering for schema and table this is what I get sometimes on right click. This happens only sometimes and am unable to reproduce it. This time I captured it while it occurred. As seen in the picture this is not what right clicks always normally look like. When this happens the right click behaves like as if it was designed for touch screen and many options of the right click go missing. Not that it happens all the time. But want to know if I am doing something wrong.

Issue 2

sql_developer_error_2.png

I created the above image in mspaint to explain the problem. I am not able to reproduce it. I use Window+Right arrow and Window+Left arrow very often on SQL developer. Few of the times that I use this, I am unable to copy the contents of "Script output" subwindow/pane/tab becuase the "script output"(with all those buttons) kind of goes down while copying the contents of what users were dropped or what tablespaces were altered. The buttons are where they are supposed to be, so I can press the "clear script output" button or the "pin" script output button only where I should be able to. The below two "Script Outputs" are just painted on the SQL developer "script output" , the buttons are not pressable .

Is my narration of the problem understandable?

Am I doing something wrong here?

Many thanks

• 9. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

you need to create a new thread, unless this is related to a floating worksheet

• 10. Re: Float worksheet and get SQL popup from query result
                            nohup

Sorry, will not do it again

Copied to a new thread UI issues with SQL developer

Thanks,