4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 10:22 AM by 3184833

OBIEE 12c

Hi,

I would like to know how can we achieve responsive design while designing dashboards in OBIEE 12c.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: OBIEE 12c
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

responsive design like a website adapting to the screen size / device used by the user changing the interface to be usable from a smartphone to a big screen?

If it's what you mean ... not really ...

A responsive design is supposed to cover the full page, and in OBIEE when you build a dashboard you only work on the central part of the page and even there you don't really code anything and rely on the used style to contains the required CSS etc.

If you look for dashboard for mobile devices you have BI MAD (mobile app designer) generating apps / dashboards optimized for mobile devices or you also have the native apps for android and ios to use the "normal" dashboard you developed.

• 2. Re: OBIEE 12c

Thanks for response Gianni. I really appreciate it!

By responsive design, I more likely wanted to know how normal dashboards developed using say OBIEE 12c, could be viewed over in mobiles/tablets and may more different devices, without loosing on visual quality. Also, without loosing in-built features of dashboards ( like fit to normal screen, scroll etc).

Thanks!

• 3. Re: OBIEE 12c
              Gianni Ceresa

Ok, so as said on mobile 12c will works better than 11g as it now uses HTML5 charts instead of flash, but it will not be perfect and probably at some points will look badly ...

So you can develop mobile apps using BI MAD or use the native iOS / Android app (for example https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oracle.obi&hl=en ) to connect to your system and be able to use the existing on mobile.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: OBIEE 12c

Thanks for sharing the information. However, I would like to continue this discussion further on lights of ease of use -

when I use the term responsive - I refer to the concept of responsive web design. It refers mostly to layout modifications and interaction element adaptations to ensure users can access and interact with the contents of a webpage regardless of the device they use to access it.

For eg. desktops, laptops, mobile phones etc.

It is called responsive web design when you use CSS and HTML to resize, hide, shrink, enlarge, or move the content to make it look good on any screen.

Thanks