3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 8:50 PM by Kyle {unique}

Hello,

Ritah Nfamba

Hello,

I'm new to Oracle Database and I am failing to have a database connection on my laptop.

I recently installed Oracle SQL developer on my mac air but I'm getting an error message whenever I try to make a basic database connection.  May I please get some help?

***Moderator action (Timo): moved from Community Feedback (No Product Questions) to SQL Developer ***

• 1. Re: Hello,
          EdStevens

Ritah Nfamba wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Oracle Database and I am failing to have a database connection on my laptop.

I recently installed Oracle SQL developer on my mac air but I'm getting an error message whenever I try to make a basic database connection.  May I please get some help?

***Moderator action (Timo): moved from Community Feedback (No Product Questions) to SQL Developer ***

Welcome to the forum.

Have you actually installed a database on your machine?  SQL Developer is just a front-end client program.

If you got an error message, why not share it?

For future reference:

1) please post in the specific forum that seems to best align with your issue

2) use a short subject line that gives an indication of your issue.  Trying to pack the full explanation is too much, but simply saying "hello" is really too little.

• 2. Re: Hello,
            Gary Graham-Oracle

SQL Developer is a productivity tool and acts as a database client.  It does not include a database, and the Oracle DB does not install natively on Mac, so you either need access to a remote DB, or must install a VM that includes the Oracle DB.

For more help, read through http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/12/i-have-oracle-sql-developer-installed-now-what/

• 3. Re: Hello,
              Kyle {unique}

You'll need several pieces of information.

The name (or IP address) of the server on which your database is set up.  Put this into the field titled "Hostname"

The port number (probably default at 1521 - or your admin will tell you otherwise).  Put this into the field titled "Port"

The name of the database you want to connect with.  This will go either in "SID" or "Service name" depending on how the database listener is set up.  Try one and if it doesn't work, try in the other.

You'll also need a user name and password that your admin will give you.

Change your entries and click "Test" until you get a success message and then give your connection a user friendly name and click the "Save" button so you don't have to rebuild the connection every time.