5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 3:30 PM by Gianni Ceresa

change the content of XML for Graph

I want to change the content of XML for Legend of Bar Graph. I see this xml tag in the report for Legend :

<saw:legendFormat position="bottom" transparentFill="true">

<saw:textFormat/></saw:legendFormat>

Can someone tell me , if we can add some tags and fit in our own custom text for the Graph Legend please?. I donot want to use the actual graph legend text , but use it by modifying its content.

Please help.

• 1. Re: change the content of XML for Graph
          Gianni Ceresa

Did you have a look at the XSD?

You can't change anything in the XML OBIEE generate or it will be invalid.

For custom legends there is the custom view, or rename the columns according to the new name you wants.

• 2. Re: change the content of XML for Graph

Hi Gianni,

Thanks for the reply.

What is XSD?

I cannot disable legend from the graph and use legend/narrative view to create a new one. Because, the graph and its legend have border. If i use two different views, one graph and another legend, the border looks broken in between and i think my customer would not like it.

Also, i cannot rename the columns and use in legend of the graph because, the graph will then display the measure columns,dimensions and the dummy columns.

Please let me know, if we can do it in some other way. May be through javascript ?

• 3. Re: change the content of XML for Graph
              Gianni Ceresa

XSD = XML Schema Definition, the "grammar rules" of your XML

If you try to change the XML of an analysis with something not matching the rules defined by the XSD OBIEE will refuse to save it and you get an error.

If it's just about borders honestly you can manage that with borders around the views or set a border around a section containing your analysis...

Javascript is useless if you are on OBIEE 11g as the charts are flash objects, in 12c they are HTML5 and so, in theory, you can manage to interact a bit more with it but honestly it's a lot of work to end with something fairly instable and complicated to maintain.

You better invest half an hour playing with borders on views or sections and tell your customer that borders are highly overrated : if his data is right he doesn't need borders, if they are wrong it's not the border making it better ...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: change the content of XML for Graph

Hi Ceresa,

Thanks for your answer. I missed out on section borders. Thanks for the help.

Thanks ,

Kalpana

• 5. Re: change the content of XML for Graph
                  Gianni Ceresa

Can you maybe close the thread to not leave it open forever? Right now it's still This question is Not Answered.