3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 6:11 PM by BPeaslandDBA

Database reporting tool for Oracle, SQL Server and DB2

Rick Silva

I'm looking for a tool where we can schedule database reports and email them to our users based on a schedule.  In some of our reports, we query against Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2 databases all in the same query.  We are using Microsoft Access now and there's got to be an easier way.

Is anybody else here doing that?  How do you approach that?

• 1. Re: Database reporting tool for Oracle, SQL Server and DB2
          BPeaslandDBA

I've been involved in a number of shops that use Crystal Reports for this type of thing. http://www.crystalreports.com/

But that isn't the only soution. Tableau is gaining lots of attention these days. Business Intelligence and Analytics | Tableau Software

Cheers,

Brian

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Database reporting tool for Oracle, SQL Server and DB2
            Rick Silva

Thanks for your response!  I have been researching those options.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like Crystal Reports is a dying technology.  Visual Studio used to come packaged with Crystal Reports but it was removed.

Tableau is too expensive for my organization.

Does anybody use any other tools that can query multiple databases and schedule and send the results?

• 3. Re: Database reporting tool for Oracle, SQL Server and DB2
              BPeaslandDBA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like Crystal Reports is a dying technology.

I guess it depends on one's perspective. I still see it in use quite a bit but I can also see where other things are replacing it too.

Tableau is too expensive for my organization.

And it has lots more than just reporting. Which adds to the cost/value. If you don't need those other features, then you'd be overpaying.

Does anybody use any other tools that can query multiple databases and schedule and send the results?

If you have SQL Server in your organization, then you can check out Reporting Services. If your company paid for SQL Server, then you are already licensed for this product. We've used that at my company. Personally, I don't like the software, but it comes with our existing licenses and its easy to use so we leverage it. It doesn't have to query SQL Server. It can query other databases through ODBC.

I'd also be interested in what others are using.

Cheers,
              Brian

1 person found this helpful