8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 8:29 PM by BobbyJ

Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?

BobbyJ

I recently uninstalled, or rather deleted, my previous versions of SQL Developer v4.1.1 and v4.1.2. I currently have v4.1.3 installed and running. However, every time I close the application, I get the Save dialog asking me if I want to save the following file: C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.1.19.59\o.sqldeveloper.12.2.0.19.59\projects\Databases.jws.

Why do I keep getting this message when the previous version has been removed? How do I prevent it from coming up in the future?

• 1. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

see if windows will let you delete
          C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.1.19.59 and

C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.2...

Those directories are where we write the settings files for your installs.

• 2. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
            BobbyJ

I was able to delete the \\...system4.1.1.19.59\ directory and all of it's contents. In fact, I had deleted it previously. However, it gets recreated each time I launch SQL Developer with open / saved SQL worksheets. If I close all of the open worksheets, close SQL Dev, then launch SQL Dev, the directory is not created. But then as soon as I open one of my stored SQL worksheets, the directory gets recreated and I get the same message pop-up about saving unsaved changes.

• 3. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

then you must be running 4.1.1 then? version 4.1.3 wouldn't write out to a system411 directory

• 4. Re: Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
                BobbyJ

Hi Jeff, I'm 99.999% sure I'm not running v4.1.1 as I deleted the C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.1.19.59 directory and I deleted the directory where I unzipped the original v4.1.1 download file, e.g. the directory that contained the sqldeveloper.exe file. The following shows the screenshot from Help>About.

I noticed is that under the \\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.3.20.78\ directory there are 433 files and 415 folders. But under \\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.1.19.59\ diectory there are only 2 files and 4 folders that keep getting recreated each time I launch SQL Dev.

Let me know if I can provide additional detail.

Screenshot - 2016_04_20_004.png

• 5. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

Possibly some file(s) under your \\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.3.20.78 folder got corrupted.  You probably migrated user settings from an earlier SQL Developer release. 

Normally any reference to Database.jws in the user settings (as in xml files referencing items like recent files used, or break points in a debugged package) is given in terms of a relative path (as in path="../o.sqldeveloper.12.2.0.19.59/projects/Databases.jws"), so if such information gets migrated it should never refer back to a prior release's user settings.  Your situation seems quite unusual.  Perhaps the best approach would be to rename the system4.1.3.20.78 folder after exiting SQL Developer, then relaunch in order to reinitialize everything without migrating user settings. Make sure you have exported your connection definitions before-hand though so you can import them into the clean 4.1.3.20.78 settings.

• 6. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
                    BobbyJ

Hmmm....so you think my v4.1.3 install was somehow corrupted? I did indeed migrate user settings from an earlier SQL Developer release when I installed v4.1.3. And at the time I installed v4.1.3, I had v.4.1.2 and v4.1.1 installed in their respective "system" and "user" directories. I didn't notice any issue with the migration other than the one reported above. You mentioned that my situation seems "quite unusual". I don't think I did anything unusual in the migration to the new version that I hadn't done previously.

So just to clarify your recommendation, you suggested renaming the "system4.1.3.20.78" folder. Are you referring to the "user" settings folder, e.g. "C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.3.20.78"? Or are you referring to the directory that contains the sqldeveloper.exe file, e.g. C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\sqldeveloper-4.1.3.20.78-no-jre where I unzipped the original download?

Since I have deleted the previous versions "user" settings directory, there wouldn't be a way to migrate user settings anyway. It sounds like the proposed approach would be a "clean install" for all intents and purposes. I can export / import the db connections. With this approach, I'm assuming that I'll have to manually update all of my settings again in Tools>Preferences. What else will I lose with this approach, e.g. SQL History, Worksheet Save History, etc.?

Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
                      Gary Graham-Oracle

I don't think I did anything unusual

Probably no fault of yours -- the corruption (if any, this is only my strong suspicion) may occur by means of disk errors or software defects. No one likes to nuke user settings, and we really do not like recommending it.  In theory, one should be able to find the specific corrupt file and just fix or erase that without zapping everything, but starting with clean settings is just easier (aside from having to reconfigure all your custom settings!)

Anyway, the reference to user settings is only with regard to what is under system4.1.3.20.78.  That appears by default under

C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\

but can be forced to some other location by an AddVMOption -Dide.user.dir=<path-to-owner-of-system4.1.3.20.78> in the sqldeveloper.conf file under the sqldeveloper\bin folder of your installation.  Some things that are preserved at the "ide.user.dir" folder level include...

UserReports.xml

SQLHistory.xml

UserSnippets.xml

CodeTemplate.xml

But definitely export connections. Also, if you use any of the SCM tools like Git, Subversion, CVS, etc, export those connections too.

• 8. Re: Remnant of Previous Version...Databases.jws?
                        BobbyJ

Well, closing SQL Dev and renaming the \\Appdata\\\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.3.20.78\ and \\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.1.19.59 directories to "_old", then restarting the app resolved the issue. The "\system4.1.3.20.78" user directory was recreated automatically and the "\system4.1.1.19.59" directory is no longer being created.

The negative effect of starting completely over was that I had to manually set all of my Preferences again. The positive effect of staring over is that the application starts up and shuts down much more quickly. Thanks for your help.