6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 10:06 PM by rmoff

Java script in OBIEE

user11921531

Hello All,

I am trying to write a function in java script and add it to the "common.js"  file in obiee. I will be calling this function in a new dashboard that I will be creating. My DBA is not big on this idea as he says that whenever a patch is applied the changes made to "common.js" will be over written . So he wants me to find another way to implement this.

My question is "Is there a way that i can write a javascript function within the dashboard"?

Any advice much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Java script in OBIEE
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

What about a customized skin/style ?

A patch will not affect it (yes, your DBA is right on that point, don't touch default files).

• 2. Re: Java script in OBIEE
            Joel Acha

Alternatively, you can add a text object to your Dashboard and there is a HTML markup checkbox to indicate that the text object has HTML markup.

• 3. Re: Java script in OBIEE
              user11921531

I think i should have stated my actual requirement earlier ,

I have a cust_id column in a report. The cust_id column is encrypted.I need to de-crypt the cust_id column before its displayed on the report. The javascript that i have makes a call to a web service which decrypts the cust_id . I am trying to see how i can implement this. 

• 4. Re: Java script in OBIEE
                user11921531

I think i should have stated my actual requirement earlier ,

I have a cust_id column in a report. The cust_id column is encrypted.I need to de-crypt the cust_id column before its displayed on the report. The javascript that i have makes a call to a web service which decrypts the cust_id . I am trying to see how i can implement this.

• 5. Re: Java script in OBIEE
                  Gianni Ceresa

Sorry but ...

Why to make it so complicated?

I would say you have to store the decrypted value in your DB and just setup a correct security in your DB > RPD > OBIEE objects so that only authorized users can access it.

The OBIEE front-end is not a simple table with just few rows and columns, because of all the possible interactions it is a complex structure, so just the work to parse your page and identify the cust_id column and get it's values to then call your webservice and replace the value ... That's lot of work for your browser and, assuming you have more than just few cust_id per page, it will soon get really slow and not really userfriendly...

So setting up a good security and storing the values in the DB is as secured (if not more) than calling your webservice etc.

• 6. Re: Java script in OBIEE
                    rmoff

+1 to Gianni Ceresa. JS for encryption in the front end ... wat. Unless you mean obfuscation, and you want to translate the value, but don't care if someone else can too. This kind of data work you should be doing in the database.