3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 4:24 PM by Andrew Fomin.

Unable to connect to database during OBIEE configuration

MUmarAli

Hi gurus

I've Windows 8.1 64 bit 64 bit core-i7 laptop.

I installed Ora DB 12c (12.1.0.2.0) installed on location E:\app\oradb12c\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1.

Java version is 1.8.0_65 on c:\Java\jdk18065.

Database Services are running quite well and I can connect to Db smoothly using SQL Plus as well as Toad.

Then I installed fmw12.2.1.0 smoothly without any error on E:\Oracle\Middleware.

After that I installed OBIEE-12.2.1.0.0 in the home of fmw-infrastructure which is E:\Oracle\Middleware.

Finally I do run OBI configuration from E:\Oracle\Middleware\bi\bin\config.bat.

I am giving following value in Simple Connect String: localhost:1521:orcl

But on Create New Schema page (Step 4 of 9) it is not connecting with database giving the following error:

Error in connecting to the Database: 'Oracle database at host localhost port 1521 service name orcl'.  Error: 'The Network Adapter could not establish the connection' - Unable to connect to the Database with the given connect string and credentials.

Make sure the database is up and running and connect string, user name and password are correct.

While searching for a solution online for similar errors I found that I've no tnsnames.ora in my middleware home, so I have created folders and tnsnames.ora file as below (because I couldn't find these folders and tnsnames.ora file in middleware home at all):

E:\Oracle\Middleware\oracle_common\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

E:\Oracle\Middleware\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

E:\Oracle\Middleware\bi\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

Contents of tnsnames.ora are as below:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: E:\app\oradb12c\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER_ORCL =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = CLRExtProc)

(PRESENTATION = RO)

)

)

ORCL =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = orcl)

)

)

But, even this workaround couldn't solve my problem and I am still unable to configure my OBIEE 12c installation.

So can you please help me to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: MUmarAli Hi All....Thanks for your tips. At the time of my first, mistakenly, Db service was down therefore it was giving "Network Adapter Error". After making the service up & running, I received the actual error which I've been facing for so many days and it is quite out of my sense. The error is: " Error connecting to 'Oracle database at host localhost port 1521 service name orcl' - Invalid user name/password. Make sure the database is up and running and connect string, user name and password are correct. Enter a valid user name with DBA privileges " I've noticed that if I write my computer name (kamranpc) instead of localhost it gives me following error: " Error in connecting to the Database: 'Oracle database at host localhost port 1521 service name orcl'. Error: 'The Network Adapter could not establish the connection' - Unable to connect to the Database with the given connect string and credentials. Make sure the database is up and running and connect string, user name and password are correct. " If the configuration set up is not sensing the Database at all, then it would not be responding with error in case of idle Db service. Further, when I run sqlplus from command prompt and try to connect with sys as sysdba or system user, the it gets connected. It means database is up and running. So can you guess please what is this problem?