2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 3:59 PM by Umair Mansoob

Data at Rest;  Exadata & TDE

We have a requirement for all data at rest to be encrypted.  On our Exadata my folks only encrypted application table spaces.

They told me Oracle cant encrypt system table spaces, what is the method to encrypt the entire database. These are 11G & 12C database on the exadata appliance.

We purchased ASO for our appliances

• 1. Re: Data at Rest;  Exadata & TDE
          Aman....

3038587 wrote:

We have a requirement for all data at rest to be encrypted.  On our Exadata my folks only encrypted application table spaces.

They told me Oracle cant encrypt system table spaces, what is the method to encrypt the entire database. These are 11G & 12C database on the exadata appliance.

We purchased ASO for our appliances

Have a look,

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ASOAG/asotrans_faq.htm#ASOAG10543

And check the section of Limitations with TDE.  Quoting from it,

Do not attempt to encrypt database internal objects such as the SYSTEM, SYSAUX, UNDO, or TEMP tablespaces using TDE tablespace encryption. You should focus TDE tablespace encryption on tablespaces that hold application data, not on these core components of the Oracle database.

I believe it implies that though we "can", we should "not" try to use TDE with the core tablespaces.  So now, question for you, why you want to encrypt the core tablespaces in the first place?

Aman....

• 2. Re: Data at Rest;  Exadata & TDE
            Umair Mansoob

HI,

I have multiple client using TDE on Exadata to satisfy DATA AT REST requirement , you don't have to encrypt system tablespace for this requirement , just application table spaces.

Make sure you don't store any application objects in non-application tablespaces.

thanks