9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 10:43 AM by xiangdong

ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension

xiangdong

i got this problem when i search items from ldap,and i can add items but search,

anyone have the solution to fix it?

• 1. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
          Marco Milo-Oracle

Hello,

I'm afraid that we can't provide much help unless you better clarify how/where you're getting this error, what exactly is the Directory Server version; moreover if you have any extract of access/error log that you could post, that would also help.

HTH,

Marco

P.S.: When closing a thread as answered, please mark the correct and helpful answers to help others finding them

• 2. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
            xiangdong

here is the exception message :

[ ERROR ]  [LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]; nested exception is javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException: [LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]; remaining name 'ou=groups'

org.springframework.ldap.OperationNotSupportedException: [LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]; nested exception is javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException: [LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]; remaining name 'ou=groups'

at org.springframework.ldap.support.LdapUtils.convertLdapException(LdapUtils.java:212)

at org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate.search(LdapTemplate.java:397)

at org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate.search(LdapTemplate.java:328)

at org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate.search(LdapTemplate.java:604)

at com.xxx.test.dao.impl.GroupDAOImpl$1.doWithLdapOperations(GroupDAOImpl.java:79)

at com.xxx.test.dao.impl.GroupDAOImpl$1.doWithLdapOperations(GroupDAOImpl.java:1)

at org.springframework.ldap.core.support.SingleContextSource.doWithSingleContext(SingleContextSource.java:153)

at org.springframework.ldap.core.support.SingleContextSource.doWithSingleContext(SingleContextSource.java:115)

at com.copsec.gms.dao.impl.GroupDAOImpl.findAllGroup(GroupDAOImpl.java:71)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor84.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.invoke(MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.java:51)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAfterAdvice.invoke(AspectJAfterAdvice.java:42)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:91)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)

at $Proxy13.findAllGroup(Unknown Source)

my ldap server version is DSEE 7.0 ,and i use PagedResultsDirContextProcessor and LdapOperations in spring framework to execute search operation.

• 3. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
              Marco Milo-Oracle

the LDAP ERROR 12 is a generic server return code to tell the client that the specified extension is not available.

Having a look at your LDAP-client application exception, it seems you're trying to rename a 'non-leaf' entry of the LDAP tree (presumably you're trying to rename an entry called ou=groups which has other elements underneath). I would suggest you to have a look at the official product documentation:

Chapter 4 Directory Server Entries (Sun Directory Server Enterprise Edition 7.0 Administration Guide)

Specially at the part talking about the MODDN (which is disabled by default) and you might want consider enabling it.

HTH,

Marco

P.S.: When closing a thread as answered, please mark the correct and helpful answers to help others finding them

• 4. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                xiangdong

i didn't do anything to rename item called groups,i wanted to  list all items under the ou=groups.

Administration guide just told something to manager the server from command line and DSCC ,i have read it for some days ,

what does MODDN meas ? how can i enable it ?

• 5. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                  Marco Milo-Oracle

Apologies... i misread the word "REMAINING" from your log extract, with "RENAMING"... that brought me totally of the road ;-)

If you want to list the items under ou=groups of your directory server tree, then you could use a simple ldapsearch command:

# ldapsearch -b ou=groups,<YOUR_BASE_SUFFIX> objectclass=* dn

The client you're using is clearly not the ldapsearch command line tool provided with DSEE 7.0... and I'm afraid there's little we could do here to help with that.

HTH,

Marco

• 6. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                    Marco Milo-Oracle

BTW,

MODDN is the acronym for MODify DN operation... which is basically a feature which enables you to rename an entire subree in the Directory Server (but it has a lot of implications/impacts), that's why it has been disabled by default and why you might want to be extremely cautious when considering/enabling it.

HTH,

Marco

• 7. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                      handat

ODSEE does not support PagedResult, hence you are getting LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]; nested exception is javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException

Basically, you will get that error whenever there are a lot of entries and paging is required. Either disable paging or set a sizelimit on the user executing the queries.

• 8. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                        pgrFrank

Does ODSEE have any substitution for enabling Paged Results?  I have an application that requires it.  I've loaded the supported control into my DPS, but per an earlier post, it's suggested to use VLV to mimic paged results, has anyone had any luck with this?

• 9. Re: ldap error 12 ,Unavailable Critical Extension
                          xiangdong

it does not support PagedResult.but you can use SortControlDirContextProcessor to do the same job