6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 8:09 PM by EdStevens

Impact of java upgrade

EdStevens

I have SQL Dev 4.0.2 installed on several workstations in both the IT and the general user community.  Various flavors of Windows 7 /  8 / 10, desktops, tablets, 'surface'.  Some 32 bit some 64 bit.

Yesterday I received a msg from the SA

"I am working on standardizing the desktops, laptops, and tablets to a single version of Java; Java 8 Update 91. This will make updates and future upgrades much simpler. We currently have installations of Java from Java 6 Update 23 to Java 8 Update 91 deployed. Our plan is to uninstall all previous versions of Java. "    (emphasis mine)

Is this something I need to be concerned about?  I'll be the first to admit that java installs have always been a bit of a mystery to me - SDK vs JDK, what is required to support a particular application.  Compound that with SQL Dev 32-bit requires a separate java installation while 64-bit comes with its own ..

• 1. Re: Impact of java upgrade
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

It depends.

If you have SQL Developer v3.2 installed and they remove an installed Java 6 home on your machine, it will probably quit working.

Unless.

Unless you don't have an installed Java 6 home, and what you have instead is an embedded Java 6 JDK IN your SQL Developer 3.2 directory. There's nothing to uninstall at that point, as that Java 6 is unknown to your PC and everything on it, except of course that copy of SQL Developer.

If this helps everyone get to version 4.1 of SQL Dev and Java 8, then that's probably a good thing. It just depends on what's on your machine and how it got there.

Hopefully no one's stuck on an old 32 bit machine these days.

• 2. Re: Re: Impact of java upgrade
            EdStevens

Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle wrote:

It depends.

If you have SQL Developer v3.2 installed and they remove an installed Java 6 home on your machine, it will probably quit working.

If I have any v3.2 installations still floating around, I think I'd want them to quit working.  I could then address them on a case-by-case basis to get them upgraded.

Unless.

Unless you don't have an installed Java 6 home, and what you have instead is an embedded Java 6 JDK IN your SQL Developer 3.2 directory. There's nothing to uninstall at that point, as that Java 6 is unknown to your PC and everything on it, except of course that copy of SQL Developer.

If this helps everyone get to version 4.1 of SQL Dev and Java 8, then that's probably a good thing. It just depends on what's on your machine and how it got there.

Hopefully no one's stuck on an old 32 bit machine these days

.Unfortunately we do have quite a few 32-bit installations, even though they are running on 64-bit hardware.  That's been a sore point with me for some time, and an argument I can't win.

• 3. Re: Impact of java upgrade

I

have SQL Dev 4.0.2 installed on several workstations in both the IT and the general user community.  Various flavors of Windows 7 /  8 / 10, desktops, tablets, 'surface'.  Some 32 bit some 64 bit. Yesterday I received a msg from the SA

"I
              am working on standardizing the desktops, laptops, and tablets to a
              single version of Java; Java 8 Update 91. This will make updates and
              future upgrades much simpler. We currently have installations of Java
              from Java 6 Update 23 to Java 8 Update 91 deployed. Our plan is to uninstall all previous versions of Java. "    (emphasis mine)

As a future goal that is admirable.

As something they play to implement without taking into account all the implications and testing EVERYTHING for them it can be foolhardy. As with even minor things 'Oracle' you have to test, test and retest - even then you can miss things.

There are reported problems with even Windows own utilities trying to run on all three of those platforms and conflicts between 32 bit and 64 bit dlls.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? I'll be the first to admit that java installs have always been a bit of a mystery to me - SDK vs JDK, what is required to support a particular application.  Compound that with SQL Dev 32-bit requires a separate java installation while 64-bit comes with its own ..

Yes and No

No - if Sql Dev is your only concern. Now is your chance to just require that ALL of your Sql Dev users conform to the latest version and you can pass the buck for that requirement to the SA and management.

That will simplify you management/support issues for Sql Dev.

Yes - if Java applet (browser), JRE and JDK support is YOUR concern.

Other 3rd party apps use Java and, like Sql Dev, may REQUIRE the JDK and not just the JRE.

Do you have any 3 -tier web apps? They use J2EE and that will almost certainly REQUIRE your org to use more than the one Java they plan to standardize on.

Java applets (that some web pages/browsers use) require a JRE and are managed from the Java Control Panel icon in Windows Control Panel.

So some users may require both a JDK and and JRE.

Sql Dev requires a (specific late version of a) JDK. The JDK is just the same, standard version you can download yourself. When it is bundled with Sql Dev it is ONLY for convenience.

The JDK is the Java Development Kit - used for developing with Java. It includes the compiler and various other utilities needed to compile, debug, profile, monitor Java code during the development process.

J2EE is the Enterprise Edition - depending on what web server, app server and applications you are using (including 3rd party components that are almost ALWAYS part of a 3 tier app) your orgs J2EE deployment are almost certain to require a different version of Java than the one they plan to 'standardize' on. It's the major 'multi-vendor' problem all over again from the mainframe days.

At long as YOU don't have responsibility for the Java side of things beyond Sql Dev your current supply of stress medicine should be sufficient.

• 4. Re: Re: Impact of java upgrade
                EdStevens

At long as YOU don't have responsibility for the Java side of things beyond Sql Dev your current supply of stress medicine should be sufficient.

SQL Dev is my only concern. 

• 5. Re: Impact of java upgrade

Lucky you!

Compound that with SQL Dev 32-bit requires a separate java installation while 64-bit comes with its own ..

Just to clarify - Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sql Dev require a 'separate java installation' in order to work. And they require the SDK - not just the JRE.

It is just that the Sql Dev team provides a 64 bit download that has the required Java 8 bundled in the same download so you don't have to download Java separately if you don't have Java already. The Sql Dev app itself does NOT include Java - the 'bundle' includes both 64 bit Sql Dev and 64 bit Java SDK.

So that 'other dept' at your org can manage/control the versions of Java being downloaded if they want. Then just download Sql Dev without Java from this link

Oracle SQL Developer Downloads

You might suggest to that SA that BEFORE they start uninstalling Java they should first make sure they have the Java downloads for whatever they are uninstalling so when the inevitable things go wrong they have what they need to reinstall if necessary.

How many times in the other forums have you seen posts where people still using 8i or 9i find they don't have the installation disks anymore and can't get them?

• 6. Re: Impact of java upgrade
                    EdStevens

rp0428 wrote:

Lucky you!

Compound that with SQL Dev 32-bit requires a separate java installation while 64-bit comes with its own ..

Just to clarify - Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sql Dev require a 'separate java installation' in order to work. And they require the SDK - not just the JRE.

It is just that the Sql Dev team provides a 64 bit download that has the required Java 8 bundled in the same download so you don't have to download Java separately if you don't have Java already. The Sql Dev app itself does NOT include Java - the 'bundle' includes both 64 bit Sql Dev and 64 bit Java SDK.

So that 'other dept' at your org can manage/control the versions of Java being downloaded if they want. Then just download Sql Dev without Java from this link

Oracle SQL Developer Downloads

You might suggest to that SA that BEFORE they start uninstalling Java they should first make sure they have the Java downloads for whatever they are uninstalling so when the inevitable things go wrong they have what they need to reinstall if necessary.

How many times in the other forums have you seen posts where people still using 8i or 9i find they don't have the installation disks anymore and can't get them?

Good points.