9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 6:33 PM by rp0428

Other schema in SQL developer

user12983407

is there any ways to hide "Other Users" data in SQL developer. ?

When I connect to the SQL developer tool by my user : test and password: test. It is showing all others schema name also which is present in database under the "Other Users" option and also showing the table, which has granted to PUBLIC role..

How I can Hide all the schemas and its PUBLIC granted tables from "Other Users" option. ?

• 1. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
          top.gun

Try the right forum here: SQL Developer

• 2. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
            GregV

Not sure I understood clearly but why would you hide something that has been granted to PUBLIC?

I think it's more a privilege issue than a SQL developer one.

• 3. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
              kulikouski

Hi,

It's not clear purpose.
              If you want to see  only the schema tables, then why do you go to OTHER Users ?
              Current schema(user) related tables is in the folder "Tables" and that's it , no need to go to other user.

Additionally you can play with preference : " Preference ->Database->Navigation Filter " and mark off/on what you need (there is no option for other user, but you can switch "Public Synonyms" off, for example)

Kr

• 4. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                user12983407

I am using third party instead of SQL developer, But In SQL Developer Also I found same behavior like showing "Others User", That is the reason, I was think to raise this Help Request by giving an example of SQL Developer, because SQL Developer is famous tool.. and that Third Party Tool fetches all users and their tables, which was granted to PUBLIC in main page only and that I want hide, as I have no control on that third party, so I have to do some changes in oracle server only to hide others users name and its tables.

• 5. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

The  purpose is to provide an interface where users can browse objects outside their schema.

It's very popular to create an account for login/browsing only where there are no local objects. You then browse your application schemas via the Other Users section of the tree.

If you don't want folks to see that stuff, restrict it via privileges.

For help with your 3rd party tool, esp if you are paying for it, I'd strongly suggest going directly to the 3rd party for help. Or stop paying and just use SQL Dev

• 6. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                    user12983407

Thanks Jeff Smith

"If you don't want folks to see that stuff, restrict it via privileges."

How I can restrict it for NOT just displaying/showing other user stuff? If Revoke the permission by "revoke" command then it will impact on my main application functionality as well.

So I want internally privileges is there to access others user data, but externally it will not display by any tool?

• 7. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

there may be a way with a logon trigger based on module and making a role active for the session that would dictate the privs

but in general, you can't have it both ways, what you grant the user, you grant the user - regardless of the app they're using

if you don't trust them in the app, don't give them the account or the app

• 8. Re: Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                        dhalek

One way to restrict users from browsing tables they should not see is to use a password protected role that is granted all the privileges needed for your application. The application then has to activate this role at start and it is working as usual. When using SQL Developer, the users have to issue something like

set role <role> identified by <password>

but if the password is secret, they are stuck with the privileges of their default role.

Hope that helps,

dhalek

• 9. Re: Other schema in SQL developer
                          So I want internally privileges is there to access others user data, but externally it will not display by any tool?

No - Oracle database knows NOTHING about 'display' and has no functionality for 'display'. Oracle does not know or care what people (or client apps) do with the info they have access to.

Either a user has privileges to access those 'other' objects or they don't.

Those 'objects' are already 'hidden' in the tree. So if a user doesn't expand the tree they will never see them.

And even if you hide them from the tree they could still just query the information directly if they have access to it.

So if you don't want people to have ANY privileges on objects then don't grant them privileges.

And if people do have privileges then you can't stop them from exercising them.