1 2 3 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 4:00 PM by jgarry Go to original post
      • 15. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
        John Thorton

you need to start the database so the listener can have the client connect to  the DB

• 16. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

John Thorton wrote:

you need to start the database so the listener can have the client connect to  the DB

The OracleClientXE is already running as I can see on services.msc. That doesn't define that the database is running? If not, how can I start the database?

• 17. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
            John Thorton

3260991 wrote:

John Thorton wrote:

The OracleClientXE is already running as I can see on services.msc. That doesn't define that the database is running? If not, how can I start the database?

unwilling or incapable to use GOOGLE yourself?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=oracle+start+db

• 18. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

John Thorton wrote:

3260991 wrote:

John Thorton wrote:

unwilling or incapable to use GOOGLE yourself?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=oracle+start+db

There's no need to be harsh, but as we are discussing the solution to my problem, if you are unwilling to suggest a command to start the database then don't and kindly tell me to search google. I am not unwilling to use google nor incapable.. I wouldn't post here in the first place if I haven't used google beforehand.

Please let us keep this conversation in a serious level, I am not here to get a forum fight or to get insulted, I am here to get help. I gave you everything that you asked and I show that I have worked on it myself for a couple of days, but I just can't find a solution to my problem. There is no need to behave like that to someone who doesn't know oracle as good as you

• 19. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                John Thorton

post excerpt from alert_XE.log that shows current state of this database.

• 20. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                  PKR

Hi

you can find the status of the database...execute the query

Database info

SELECT name,open_mode,db_unique_name FROM   v$database;

Instance info

select instance_name, host_name,version, status, blocked from v$instance;

Rajesh

• 21. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

RAJESH.PK wrote:

Hi

Database info

Instance info

Rajesh

Hello,

I do not have oracle sql developer on my target pc which has the ora 12514 error in order to execute queries, so I will try the sqlplus solutions/tests that were suggested and will report soon my findings.

Thanks

• 22. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                      John Thorton

3260991 wrote:

RAJESH.PK wrote:

Hi

Database info

Instance info

Rajesh

Hello,

I do not have oracle sql developer on my target pc which has the ora 12514 error in order to execute queries, so I will try the sqlplus solutions/tests that were suggested and will report soon my findings.

Thanks

if you can not connect to this database, then how can you ever issue any SQL against the database; regardless of which client utility is used?

post excerpt from alert_XE.log that shows current state of this database.

• 23. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                        AndrewSayer

3260991 wrote:

John Thorton wrote:

Open up cmd and do

echo %oracle_sid%

This will print what the current value of the oracle_sid variable is set to, you probably want it to be set as xe. If it is set differently then you may have created a database with a different name by accident, if it is blank then you'll need to set it manually:

set oracle_sid=xe

Next step is to open up sqlplus and connect using OS authentication , this will allow you to start up the db if it has not been started, in the same cmd window do:

sqlplus / as sysdba

It could say you're connected to an idle instance (not started)   in that case you can do

startup

Copy and paste all of these results here if anything unexpected occurs. If everything was successful then you should be able to try connecting through your application again.

• 24. Re: Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                          EdStevens

3260991 wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

3260991 wrote:

Andrew Sayer wrote:

Additionally, if you're going to have the client and the db on the same pc then you'll probably find it easiest to connect with a host of localhost rather than naming it for each individual installation.

That's what I'm trying to do. I thought the localhost of every pc is the machine name that's why I did it like this.

No.

'localhost' is the universal network network name for a computer to reference itself.  By definition, it's ip address is 127.0.0.1, which is the local loopback address.  This is networking 101.  You might want to google 'localhost'.

SQL> conn SYS/xxxx as sysdba

SQL> show parameter local_list

SQL> select instance_name, host_name, status, blocked from v$instance;

post the result?

for the first command I use SYS/password or username/password?

If you include the 'as sysdba' it doesn't matter.  If the OS account you are using is in the local ora_dba group, you will be connected via os authentication.  The simpler approach would be simply

sqlplus / as sysdba

In addition, since the listener is rejecting the requested service name, you should then check to see what services the listener does know about.  Show us the result of the following command:

lsnrctl status

BTW, that check of the listener was explained in the links you were given.  You should have picked up on that and shown us the result already.  The fact that you didn't, nor did you even make mention of it, suggests you did not follow up and read those links.

So you suggest that I make my DataSource = localhost ?

Thanks for the sqlplus / as sysdba.

I have posted lsnrctl status as well as lsnrctl service. I have the results as pics on my second post. Please care to have a look.

Thanks

Since you intend to distribute this across multiple PCs, and your basic architure is that the app and the database will reside on the same PC, then yes your reference to the machine name should be 'localhost'.  That way will not care what the actual machine name is.  But beware that you may STILL be vulnerable to the vagaries of various local installations. In any event you are totally at the mercy of how the individual machine has it's networking resources configured.  Also be aware that you will need to make sure your listener is configured to listen on 'localhost', which means you should supply a listener.ora file configured to force that issue.

As for what services your listener is supporting, yes, I missed that you had already posted it.  And on review, I see that it knows nothing about your database.  That could be due to a couple of things.  First, having the windows service started is no guarantee the database is actually open.

Here's a shot of the the services control panel on my sandbox system.  It clearly shows I have a database named LAWTON and it's service is started.

But what does my listener list it?

No, it does not.

And what does the instance say about itself?

So start the instance and recheck the listener:

The other possibility is that the instance IS started, but due to yet another misconfiguration is unable to register itself with the listener.  For further detail on this, I recommend you read my article on the local listener, at Exploring the Oracle LOCAL_LISTENER Parameter :: edstevensdba

• 25. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

Ok, here are some screenshots: (I am not able to connect to sqlplus with the default Username:system and the password I set during installation which is also system)

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

On the last photo, it's in Greek, but it says that it's running and is set to run automatically by default

• 26. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                              John Thorton

do EXACTLY as below from Command Window

sqlplus / as sysdba

startup

COPY the results from above then  PASTE all back here!

• 27. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

John Thorton wrote:

sqlplus / as sysdba

startup

I cannot, because as you see on the picture I get "insufficient privileges ora 01031"

• 28. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                                  John Thorton

3260991 wrote:

John Thorton wrote:

sqlplus / as sysdba

startup

I cannot, because as you see on the picture I get "insufficient privileges ora 01031"

You need to be logged onto Windows as the same OS user who owns the Oracle software installation files

• 29. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

I am. I installed oracle 11g as the same default user as the one I am running the cmd commands now