1 2 3 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 4:00 PM by jgarry Go to original post
      • 31. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

For real I just cannot believe that this is hapenning... Oracle is able to connect to my lan pc and display the database data on my application alright, but it cannot show it's own database schema.... It's like someone is telling me "I cannot walk, but I can run with 100km/h"...

And for the love of god, I installed oracle as I installed it on my developing computer and from this pc I cannot get even sqlplus to work.. What if I were to distribute the application on real customers? I'd log everytime with a remote program and check their settings?

Anyway, my SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is set to (TNS) and I cannot find a way on win8.1 to take priveleges to make sql work... My current user is by default administrator

• 32. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

I do not have oracle sql developer on my target pc

Are you sure about that? Oracle normally includes sql developer as part of an installation. Don't know about xe though.

Check the installation folders and double-check if you have sql developer.

Also when someone says 'open a command window' you need to open it as an administrator, not as a normal user.

I also suggest that you stop trying to 'tell' people what you think you are doing and SHOW US:

1. WHAT you do

2. HOW you do it

3. WHAT results you get

Post an EXACT copy of the sql*plus session or command window commands you execute.

• 33. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

rp0428 wrote:

I do not have oracle sql developer on my target pc

Are you sure about that? Oracle normally includes sql developer as part of an installation. Don't know about xe though.

Check the installation folders and double-check if you have sql developer.

Also when someone says 'open a command window' you need to open it as an administrator, not as a normal user.

I also suggest that you stop trying to 'tell' people what you think you are doing and SHOW US:

1. WHAT you do

2. HOW you do it

3. WHAT results you get

Post an EXACT copy of the sql*plus session or command window commands you execute.

I do not have sql developer, it needs download..

I do not try to tell you anything, I always pic you what you request me from cmd. And I have also tried to run cmd as admin, but I get same error. Please this is the second time I tell this, before you post, check the previous posts to see what's happening and what I have posted

• 34. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

I do not try to tell you anything, I always pic you what you request me from cmd.

No - you did not 'pic' anything in your last reply.

And I have also tried to run cmd as admin, but I get same error.

There you go again - telling us - instead of SHOWING US.

Please this is the second time I tell this, before you post, check the previous posts to see what's happening and what I have posted

I did read them all.

Why don't YOU go back and read them all.

Then tell us the number of the reply (all replies are numbered) that SHOWS you running the command window and/or sql*plus as an admin.

I don't see any such reply where you SHOWED US that.

You asked for help.

In order to help you we need to KNOW WHAT you are doing and how you do it.

We are NOT going to take your word for it. If you don't want to show us EVERYTHING then you won't get the help you seek. It is that simple.

• 35. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

Screenshot_1.png

I tried to add the current user to ora_Dba group but I cannot as my windows 8.1 is not pro edition, but standard.

I even tried to do it via cmd like: net localgroup ora_dba {username} /add but my username is in greek characters and cmd does not recognize unicode characters...

• 36. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                  John Thorton

IMO, the Oracle installation is fatally flawed.

Listener is NOT required to start any local Oracle database.

I do not believe that you can "clone" a working Oracle instance from one system to another using your home grown jerry rigged, kludged collections of commands.

Unless & until you can demonstrate that you can start & access local Oracle database, you are beyond assistance.

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!

• 37. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

John Thorton wrote:

IMO, the Oracle installation is fatally flawed.

Listener is NOT required to start any local Oracle database.

I do not believe that you can "clone" a working Oracle instance from one system to another using your home grown jerry rigged, kludged collections of commands.

Unless & until you can demonstrate that you can start & access local Oracle database, you are beyond assistance.

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!

Please be specific because you and your mind only know what you are talking about.

On which commands are you reffering to?

You need a demonstration of my developing pc in order to see that oracle works there? Because as you've seen on the target pc, I cannot execute sqlplus...

• 38. Re: Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                      AndrewSayer

3260991 wrote:

I tried to add the current user to ora_Dba group but I cannot as my windows 8.1 is not pro edition, but standard.

I even tried to do it via cmd like: net localgroup ora_dba {username} /add but my username is in greek characters and cmd does not recognize unicode characters...

Are you sure you installed the software using the current user?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/win.112/e10845/authen.htm#NTQRF327

When you install Oracle Database, a special Windows local group called ORA_DBA is created (if it does not already exist from an earlier Oracle Database installation), and your Windows user name is automatically added to it. Members of local group ORA_DBA automatically receive the SYSDBA privilege.

What is output of

echo %username%

NET LOCALGROUP ORA_DBA

from command window

You said earlier:

Anyway, my SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is set to (TNS) and I cannot find a way on win8.1 to take priveleges to make sql work... My current user is by default administrator

Could you provide evidence of sqlnet.authentication_services setting? Ensure that the parameter is not commented out and you are viewing the correct file (you could do tnsping xe and it should output the sqlnet.ora file being used)

• 39. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor

Andrew Sayer wrote:

3260991 wrote:

When you install Oracle Database, a special Windows local group called ORA_DBA is created (if it does not already exist from an earlier Oracle Database installation), and your Windows user name is automatically added to it. Members of local group ORA_DBA automatically receive the SYSDBA privilege.

What is output of

echo %username%

NET LOCALGROUP ORA_DBA

from command window

You said earlier:

Could you provide evidence of sqlnet.authentication_services setting? Ensure that the parameter is not commented out and you are viewing the correct file (you could do tnsping xe and it should output the sqlnet.ora file being used)

Hi andrew,

Yes I installed using the current user, as it's the only user that exists on the os and the user is administrator by default.

I tried to perform the same steps I performed on my target pc to another pc(Win10 pro) and oracle and my app as well worked fine. What I can only guess is that there are security issues which are very difficult to solve if you have the standard version of an os and unicode language installed on it, as you cannot access easily local users and groups so you can add your current user in ora_dba so the sqlplus can run

Thanks for the help anyway, cheers

• 41. Re: Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                          AndrewSayer

3260991 wrote:

Andrew Sayer wrote:

3260991 wrote:

What is output of

echo %username%

NET LOCALGROUP ORA_DBA

from command window

You said earlier:

Hi andrew,

Yes I installed using the current user, as it's the only user that exists on the os and the user is administrator by default.

I tried to perform the same steps I performed on my target pc to another pc(Win10 pro) and oracle and my app as well worked fine. What I can only guess is that there are security issues which are very difficult to solve if you have the standard version of an os and unicode language installed on it, as you cannot access easily local users and groups so you can add your current user in ora_dba so the sqlplus can run

Thanks for the help anyway, cheers

I don't see any reason why it would have been unable to assign the user to the ora_dba group (other than a bug).

So please, SHOW us the results of

echo %username%

NET LOCALGROUP ORA_DBA

And then SHOW us the contents of sqlnet.ora, something like:

C:\Users\sayera>tnsping xe

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 21-JUN-2016 12:35:43

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

E:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

C:\Users\sayera>type E:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to

# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native

# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

• 42. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                            jgarry

3260991 wrote:

Screenshot_1.png

Please see the installation requirements for XE.  8.1 requires the pro edition.  Which edition was the one that worked?

Also, check and compare all oracle registry entries between the one that works and the one that doesn't, as well as system environment variables.  Maybe a clue there.

I believe the XE only uses unicode, you might want to google about that.  What Windows code page are you using?

• 43. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                              Richard Harrison .

Hi,

It looks like the oracle service is started but that didnt start the database automatically.

In all the replies back and forth i don't think you actually tried this

set ORACLE_SID=XE

sqlplus / as sysdba

startup

ALso i saw you posted this

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is set to (TNS)

Is that just a typo as it should be NTS not TNS

Cheers,

Rich

• 44. Re: ORA 12514 listener does not know of a service requested in connect desciptor
                                jgarry

Would setting the SID fix an ORA-1031 with sqlplus / as sysdba?  I think that's a combination of OS privileges and which oracle home is being used.

Though perhaps if that is really a typo in the sqlnet.authentication services it might be interpreting it as the default "NONE" which would give that error.  I think.

1 2 3 Previous Next