loop back adaptor

sivapara
    Hi ,
    I am installing Oracle 10GR2 in my Win XP box, having the following questions.
    Appreciate your response, thanks in advance.

1. What is adaptor ?
    Why do you need a loop back adaptor ?
    What is the purpose loop back adaptor ?

2. How do I make loop back adaptor as my primary adaptor ?

3. Loop back adaptor unable to obtain IP address automatically ?
    As a result I could not install 10G database.

I followed the steps outlined below . Here I appended the ipconfig output also.
    What could be the reason ? How do I debug this ?

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, then Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Hardware to start the Add/Remove Hardware wizard.
    3. In the Welcome window, click Next.
    4. In the Choose a Hardware Task window, select Add/Troubleshoot a device, and click Next.
    5. In the Choose a Hardware Device window, select Add a new device, and click Next.
    6. In the Find New Hardware window, select No, I want to select the hardware from a list, and click Next.
    7. In the Hardware Type window, select Network adapters, and click Next.
    8. In the Select Network Adapter window, do the following:
    1. Manufacturers: Select Microsoft.
    2. Network Adapter: Select Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
    3.Click Next.
    9. In the Start Hardware Installation window, click Next.
    10. In the Completing the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard window, click Finish.
    11. Right-click My Network Places on the desktop and choose Properties. This displays the Network and Dial-up Connections control panel.
    12. Right-click the connection that was just created. This is usually "Local Area Connection 2". Choose Properties.
    13. On the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click Properties.
    14. In the Properties dialog box, click "Obtain IP address automatically"
    15. Close the Network Connections window.
    16. Restart the computer.

ipconfig output:
    ===================
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Loopback Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.25.129
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Let me know, if you have any questions.

thanks
    siva
      • 1. Re: loop back adaptor
        sivapara
        Appeded below is the error message, during the instllation of 10G. in my Win XP box.
        How do I make, Microsoft LoopBack Adapter to be the primary network adapter on the system. Even though DHCP enabled, do I have to assign IP address ?

Error Message:
        =============
        Checking Network Configuration requirements ...

Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Failed <<<<
        Problem: The install has detected that the primary IP address of the system is DHCP-assigned.
        Recommendation: Oracle supports installations on systems with DHCP-assigned IP addresses; However, before you can do this, you must configure the Microsoft LoopBack Adapter to be the primary network adapter on the system. See the Installation Guide for more details on installing the software on systems configured with DHCP.
        • 2. Re: loop back adaptor
          Hi, I'm having issues installing Oracle 10g after configured Microsoft LoopBack Adapter as explained previously. Microsoft LoopBack Adapter says Status: Limited or no connectivity.

I've tried installing Oracle after created Microsoft LoopBack Adapter, the same error still occured.

Problem: The install has detected that the primary IP address of the system is DHCP-assigned.
          Recommendation: Oracle supports installations on systems with DHCP-assigned IP addresses; However, before you can do this, you must configure the Microsoft LoopBack Adapter to be the primary network adapter on the system. See the Installation Guide for more details on installing the software on systems configured with DHCP.

Can anyone help me please!~
          • 3. Re: loop back adaptor
            Add the loopback adapter through the device manager
            Assign the loopback adapter some arbitrary address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255

Oracle install should work at this point -- that's all I had to do.

~Jer
            • 4. Re: loop back adaptor
              Check out this link http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Microsoft_Network/Q_21682149.html

You may need to edit your hosts file.

Hope this helps,
              David
              • 5. Re: loop back adaptor
                Oracle is up and and running perfectly, thanks Vista and Jer!
                Appreciated!!!!
                • 6. Re: loop back adaptor
                  Excellent! Did you end up editing your hosts file?

David
                  • 7. Re: loop back adaptor
                    Hi Vista,

I am trying to install oracle 10g database on my new windows XP laptop. I got the same error mentioned by sivapara. I followed the steps mentioned by you in

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Microsoft_Network/Q_21682149.html

As per 20th step, in the hosts file, i mentioned the

ip address hostname

but domain name is blank in my system. Can u help me.
                    • 8. Re: loop back adaptor
                      I did not end up changing the hosts file, last time I installed 10g. I found it wasn't necessary. Are you having a problem?
                      • 9. Re: loop back adaptor
                        Hi Vista,

Actually the domain name is left blank in my system. So as per 20th step, i thought that it was necessary to mention the domain name also. But i just gave ipaddress and hostname. It worked fine. I successfully installed the database. Thanks for the help.
                        • 10. Re: loop back adaptor
                          hai ,
                          i also got the saeme problem while installing oracle 10g r2 software,can you please tell me how did u solve the problem

thanks in advance
                          • 11. Re: loop back adaptor
                            hi all,

I followed these instructions and oracle installed and is working perfectly. (thanks!)

But, i cannot access any other Internet or network resources; only my new Oracle databases.

Is there some other setting i must change so I can use both oracle and other network resources simultaneously?

thanks in advance,
                            JW
                            • 12. Re: loop back adaptor
                              Thanks for vista,jer
                              My installation started now fine...
                              • 13. Re: loop back adaptor
                                Hi,

I would advice you to visit here:
                                http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/reqs.htm#BABBDGBI

Adith
                                • 14. Re: loop back adaptor
                                  Hi,
                                  All the posts above are great and helped me to set up the database correctly and all is running fine now.

I had installed Oracle 10g (on WinXP) without being connected to the network. So it took the default localhost address. However, it became very inconvenient as I had to disconnect from the network, restart my machine and then start the required oracle services, and finally connect to the network. At that time, I was unaware of the loopback adapter so I had not installed it in the first place.

So I wanted to install the loopback adapter after my oracle was already installed (as I did not wanted to go over the pain of uninstalling oracle and reinstalling all over again). This is what I did:
                                  1.     DBMS: Oracle 10g Release 1 (10.1.0.2)
                                  a.     Oracle Installed disconnected from the network.
                                  PROBLEM: had to start comp without network, and then start oracle services, and then connect to the network.

FIX:
                                  b.     Install loopback adapter and restart the machine (http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/reqs.htm#BABGCEAI). Add the loopback address to the etc\hosts file. Use hostname from the My-Computer -> Right Click. My domain name was blank, so the entry in the hosts file looks like
                                  10.10.10.10 <host name>

c.     Open oracle net manager:
                                  i. In Service Naming:
                                  1. Service Identification: add the correct service name

Also check the following entries:

Sample tnsnames entry:
                                  <Global database name> =
                                  (DESCRIPTION =
                                  (ADDRESS_LIST =
                                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <host name as in etc\hosts file>)(PORT = 1521))
                                  )
                                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                                  (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                  (SERVICE_NAME = <service name>)
                                  )
                                  )

Listener.ora entry:
                                  See if the following is there in SID_LIST_LISTENER entry
                                  (SID_DESC =
                                  (GLOBAL_DBNAME = <global database name>)
                                  (SID_NAME = <SID>)
                                  )
                                  And check if the following exists in LISTENER entry
                                  (DESCRIPTION =
                                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <host name as given in etc\hosts>)(PORT = 1521))
                                  )

2.     Address Configuration: Enter the correct hostname that you gave in the etc\hosts file

ii.     Listeners
                                  1.     Under Listening Locations, add another address and give the host name (from etc\hosts) as the value for the Host field

iii.     Save the network configuration. Restart the required oracle services. Check using tnsping and try connecting to the database.

Thanks,
                                  Abhinav
                                  1 2 3 上一个 下一个