5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 12:59 AM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

SQL Developer closes randomly

dagtech

Version of SQL Developer: 4.1.3.20

Version of JDK: 1.8.0_91

Version of OracleDB: 10.2.0.4.0

Have been using Sql Developer for a while now, but have recently run into a problem with it abruptly closing down at seemingly random times.

I have tried removing in re-installing the JDK as well as re-installing Sql Developer (by deleting the system4.1.3.20.78 folder), but still have the same problem.

SQL Developer is running fine when I log into the company network through VPN. It is only when I go through VDI (Virtual desktop infrastructure) that I am having the problem.

I have tried running in debug mode, but when it ends abruptly, the console screen closes also.  How do I go about capturing debug info in this case?

• 1. Re: SQL Developer closes randomly
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Use Windows Start > Accessories > Command Prompt to open the console, then

1. Adjust the Layout properties of the console to ensure a large Screen Buffer Size (say, several hundred for the Height).

2. CD to the ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin directory of the folder where you unzipped SQL Developer.

3. Run sqldeveloper.exe from the console

• 2. Re: SQL Developer closes randomly
            dagtech

Thanks for the reply, Gary.  I set the screen buffer width to 100 and the height to 900. Changed directories to the sql developer bin directory and run from the console. After Sql Developer ends, I do Ctrl + Break in the command screen.  Here is the output (there is not much):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
            Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\grubbsd>v:

V:\>cd V:\SqlDeveloper\sd20151222\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin

V:\SqlDeveloper\sd20151222\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>sqldeveloper.exe

LOAD TIME : 390UsersCache.fillIn() time = 528  ret==null?: false

V:\SqlDeveloper\sd20151222\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>

V:\SqlDeveloper\sd20151222\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>

• 3. Re: SQL Developer closes randomly
              Gary Graham-Oracle

Ctrl+Break only produces a thread dump from the Java VM while Java is running.  After it closes -- nothing.

You mentioned debug mode.  I take it that means you changed the sqldeveloper.conf file so that the line

IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-nondebug.conf

became

IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-debug.conf

Since you are getting nothing, however, it strikes me the next place to look would be the logs in Windows Event Viewer, or perhaps get guidance from the vendor of your VDI.

• 4. Re: SQL Developer closes randomly
                dagtech

Thanks again, Gary.  I'll check with the VDI vendor.

• 5. Re: SQL Developer closes randomly
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Good chance there's a Windows DLL or device driver that's causing the JVM to 'wigout' - hopefully you'd see that in the cmd window next time SQLDev closes unexpectedly