8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 5:14 PM by Perm77

OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?

Perm77

Hello Experts,

I am new to Oracle BIEE, we have version: 11.1.1.9.5 installed - when creating Analysis from Subject Areas, I like to design one report to serve many purposes.

I find I am unable to keep previous filters applied on columns when sourcing new data. Only by deleting filter can I create a newoutput search.

Is there a way to "un-check" the filter so not be active during future searches.

In Oracle Discoverer 11g, when creating reports, one was able to check and uncheck multiple conditions and save in report.

Any help, most appreciated.

Cheers,

Perminder

• 1. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
          Christian Berg

I'm not familiar with Disco so can you explain what you mean by

Perm77 wrote:

I find I am unable to keep previous filters applied on columns when sourcing new data. Only by deleting filter can I create a newoutput search.

Are you looking for the concept of filters which are set as "Is Prompted" in an Analysis and then are populated with different values by dashboard prompts?

• 2. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
            Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

Perm77 wrote:

...when creating Analysis from Subject Areas, I like to design one report to serve many purposes.

...one was able to check and uncheck multiple conditions and save in report.

For the first one I would just say it can go badly if you end up with a single analysis with 40 columns and trying to make it all fit there (with crazy FILTER conditions) just to have a single analysis and not 2-3-10 analysis on a page.

I'm also not sure to understand what you look for, but are you maybe looking for a way to enable / disable filter at the view level?

So one analysis with a table, a chart and a pivot as output and in the table you enable filter1 and filter2, for the chart you enable filter2 and filter 3 and for the pivot you enable filter1 and filter3 : something like that? If it's the case you can't, filters are for the whole analysis and not for a view.

As said earlier a possible workaround is to maybe have 2-3 times the same column with a different FILTER function on it (editing the formula and adding the FILTER function) but I would highly suggest to avoid that and build many analysis if it's the case (for performance and maintenance point of view it will be better).

• 3. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
              Perm77

Hello Christian and Gianni,

I appreciate both of you replying so soon.

I would like to illustrate my question with screenshots of a basic example using the Filters and one SA.

STEP 1      Created a New Analysis using SA Procurement and Spend - Purchase Requisitions

Added around 6 (Facts & Dimensions)

STEP 1.JPG

STEP 2        I have added 2 seperate Filters to (1) Ledger Name and (2) Purchase Requistion Number

STEP 2.JPG

STEP 3        I will keep filter on Ledger Name Column but I do want to change this Purchase Requistion Number to

STEP 3.JPG

Summary

Why is it I can only do this by deleting existing filter on Purchase Requisition column 259647 and have to add 259646 as a new search critera. I dont want to forget about Purchase Requisition number 259647 and want to look at it later in the same report, with existing and possibly new Facts and Dimensions.

I cannot see why the Filter options do not have an "un-check" box so one can use filter queries "On/Off" at different stages.

Perminder

• 4. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
                Gianni Ceresa

Ok, that's a lot more clear

So, the answer is now: sorry, no, the tool doesn't provide that functionality ...

You can of course ask Oracle to develop that kind of feature if you want.

The options you can try are prompts and use the "is prompted" as Christian posted. If you add it as an inline prompt you will be asked for the "Purchase Requisition Number" each time you run the analysis, you select your number and when you apply the analysis with the correct filter is displayed.

Plan B is to use a dashboard prompt and add it together with your analysis on a dashboard page. Changing the value of the prompt will reload the analysis with the new value.

That's the options you have as workaround, but no way to temporarily turn a filter condition off while keeping it in the analysis (as you know you can edit it to enter the new number you want to look, but you always have to edit it and remember what was the previous value etc.).

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
                  Andrew Fomin.

I think the best choice is to use a dashboard and Save/Apply customizations. This allows you to have a set of named combinations of filters.

saved customizations.PNG

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
                    Perm77

I am not surprised by the answer .

I have been looking everywhere and guessed it was not possible.

Again, this newcomer to BIEE is thankful for your and Christian's help in this query.

I may have future questions, so be warned

• 7. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
                      Gianni Ceresa

Have a look at the option Andrew posted, it's a good combination with a prompt to set the values faster ....

And just open a new thread for your future coming questions

• 8. Re: OBIEE: How can I keep multiple filters "on/off" when creating an Analysis report ?
                        Perm77

Hi Andrew,

I haven't really looked at Dashboards in great detail but will certainly explore these features.

Appreciate the advice and guidance.

Many Thanks