1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 11:12 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

Cannot Make A Connetion

Dear Oracle Community

I am having a problem making a connection with Oracle SQL Developer

I think I had other error logs, I think error 10 or 100, but this was before I reinstalled MySQL and in the picture below, if you cannot see it the error number is

ERROR 13369

I have to add my OS is Win10 64bit 4GB RAM

I do have several programs I do not expect to cause my connection problems

Oracle VM VirtualBox

Mocha TN5250

NetBeans IDE 8.1

EclipseJava Mars

GitHub

MS VisualStudio / various types

But these are mainly saved on my external hardrive, including Oracle SQL Developer

I am not sure if I am putting the right details into the input boxes but in "New Gallery" dialogue box, I click on "Database Connection".

I believe the connection name was what I wish my subject to be called (I may be wrong), then my username I wish and password.

believe my port number 1521 was my problem, but its not showing to be the problem now though am now sure. I have tried 3306 but with no joy

Then the "SID" am not sure is correct.

Am not sure if there is anything else I should or could do.

I was guided to use this application in hope it would give me some insight into creating my "Normal Forms" 1NF 2NF 3NF and so forth.

I am in my 2nd term of my first year studying for my first degree with HND Network Engineering Telecommunication (NETS)

I look forward to your guidance.

• 1. Re: Cannot Make A Connetion
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Do you have an Oracle database installed?  The host / port / sid in your connection details imply a default Oracle 11g Express Edition installation, but you also would need to have created a "jtvteach" user first in that database, which seems unlikely.

If you want to use MySQL, then you would need to add a JDBC driver for MySQL via Tools > Preferences > Database > Third Party JDBC Drivers, something like mysql-connector-java-5.1.27-bin.jar.

I suggest that you read through the following blog post and see it sheds any light...

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/12/i-have-oracle-sql-developer-installed-now-what/

As for the String index out of range: 13369 message, I believe the 13369 is an index offset rather than an error number. In any event, it is an unusual message to get during a connect attempt.