10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 7:29 PM by Shams Abbasi

OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database

Hi,

We have OBIEE12c set up.  However, the metadata was setup to share the same database that we had in 11g.  I would like to separate the 2 databases and keep 12c's metadata in its own database.

Is there any documentation of instruction on how to do this?

Thanks,

Sean

• 1. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
          Joel Acha

Could you provide a bit more information about what you mean by metadata? Are you referring to the DB schemas created with the RCU?

• 3. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
            Joel Acha

As far as I'm aware,11g to 12c upgrade is done out of place where 12c is installed on a new server and RCU is run as part of this process (described here - in the powerpoint). As such, the schemas aren't supposed to be shared.

You'll need to run the RCU to create new schemas and then run the config.bat/sh utility to configure your 12c instance to use the newly created schemas.

• 4. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
              rmoff

Are you sharing the same schema in this database?

• 5. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database

Joel Acha config.cmd/sh did not work.  This can only setup/create for new BI domain. 

rmoff  It's different schema (prefix).  Would that make difference?

• 6. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
                  Shams Abbasi

When i pointed my OBIEE 11g to new BIPLATFORM and MDS Schemas

I created schema on different database using RCU

Went to EM changed the TNS Entry of Scheduler

In console changed the Connection Pools for data sources to point to new schema and restarted the services.

You can try doing this if you want. But try at your own risk and make sure you have proper backups

• 7. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database

Thank you Shams.  Yeah, I tried that today.  Used RCU to create new schema in new database.  Changed all connection pools to use the new schema and database.  Unfortunately, after stop and restart the services, I could not log into BI any more...even with weblogic username.  Not exactly sure what went worng  :-(   Switched the connections back to old database/schema, everything is working again.

• 8. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
                      Shams Abbasi

ok

After Restart all the services started smoothly?

• 9. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database

Hi Shams,

Yes, after the restart, all services came up.  The only thing is I couldn't log into BI anymore.  Couldn't access online RPD neither.

I just got some instructions from Oracle support.  It looks like I need to run some sync command after pointing to the new RCU database.  I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.  Here's what Oracle provided.

a) Take a backup of user_projects directory which is present inside ORACLE HOME.

b) First stop all the servers and BI services except Admin Server using below command from location <ORACLE HOME>\user_projects\domains\<domain_name>\bitools\bin

stop.cmd –i bi_server1,obis1,obiccs1,obips1,obijh1,obisch1   

c) Then login into Admin Console using URL http://hostname:port/console and navigate to following location Domain Structure<domain_name>ServicesData Sources

d) Then click on “Lock & Edit” under “Change Center” and then click on each of the data sources in the list and change database connection details and password in <Selected Data Source>ConfigurationConnection PoolSave the changes.

e) Once all the data sources connection string and credential information is reentered and saved then click on “Activate Changes” under “Change Center”,

this will ask you to restart Admin Server so stop Admin Server from Console and now start only Admin Server and Managed Serverusing below command from location <ORACLE HOME>\user_projects\domains\<domain_name>\bitools\bin

start.cmd –I AdminServer,bi_server1

f) Once Admin and Managed Server is started then login into Admin Console and validate connectivity of BIPLATFOR Schema through 

Domain Structure > <domain_name> > Services > Data Sources > biplatform_datasource > Monitoring > Testing > Select Server from the list by clicking on Radio Button > Test Data Source.

g) Now execute command sync_midtier_db.cmd from following location DOMAIN_HOME\bitools\bin 

Information on command sync_midtier_db.cmd:

This command synchronizes connection details to the mid-tier database ensuring that BI components can access the mid-tier database when connection details (including credentials) are changed.

PLEASE NOTE:  BIPLATFORM :There is no validation, you must validate connectivity after updating Datasource connection pools in Weblogic Admin console(as mentioned in step (f)) or WLST before synchronizing.

h) Once connection details to the mi-tier database is synchronized then restart you complete OBIEE 12c Stack by stopping current running Servers and then Starting the server/services.

Sean

• 10. Re: OBIEE 12c - Change to point to new repository database
                          Shams Abbasi

Thanks to these forums we learn something new everyday . Let me know how it goes