4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 6:01 AM by Beauty_and_dBest

When do I run adpreclone at the dbtier?

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

EBS R12.1.3

OL5

11gR1

To clone a database tier we need to run adpreclone and then run OS copy to another server.

Supposing I already run adpreclone last month or last year , and assuming I did not apply any change in the dbtier (e.g. patch), do I need to run adpreclone?

What changes in the db tier will need to run again adpreclone? (aside from patching).

Please help...

Kind regards,

jc

• 1. Re: When do I run adpreclone at the dbtier?

Hi Jenna,

As per Oracle's best practice It is recommended to run adpreclone.pl on both DB/Apps tier before your clone any non-PRD environments.

As per your update you said that nothing has been changed on file system though I would recommend running adpreclone on db tier as well as apps tier in order to finish clone without any issues.

I had encountered some issues in past due to this same issue thinking nothing had been changed so adpreclone is not required on DB node.

Again, as per standard cloning steps it is RECOMMENDED to run adpreclone whenever you are performing clone.

I hope this will answer question.

Thanks, Nish

• 2. Re: When do I run adpreclone at the dbtier?
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Nish,

Actual I am not going to perform cloning per se. But only restoring a backup.

Note that we have only RMAN backup daily. and we have one time Linux "tar" backup of apps home and db home.

So in case of disaster, can we restore it to a new server?

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: When do I run adpreclone at the dbtier?
              VishnuVinnakota

Hi,

Finally back after several weeks.

Here is the info:

• If there are changes to the physical structure of the database like change of locations, new data files etc. then run adpreclone.pl
              • If on the target instance you are retaining the Oracle Home but just refreshing only the database with manual recovery, control file creation etc., then you need  not worry about the adpreclone.pl in DB Tier.

let me know if you need more details.

• 4. Re: When do I run adpreclone at the dbtier?
                Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Vish and ALL,

Re: 

• If there are changes to the physical structure of the database like change of locations, new data files etc. then run adpreclone.pl

Will not RMAN be able to restore also the new added data files? Why do I need adpreclone?

Kind regards,