12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 1:28 AM by Gary Graham-Oracle

Error Starting v4.1.5

BobbyJ

I have used multiple versions of SQL Developer. I've always just unzipped the contents to a new directory and double clicked on sqldeveloper.exe to start the new version. This time I'm getting an error dialog when I double click the sqldeveloper.exe. The error message is "Unable to open the following configuration file: [c:\users\xxxxx\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf]. Any ideas what might be different in v4.1.5 that's causing an issue?

• 1. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
          Gary Graham-Oracle

I have no problem running a 4.1.5 install from my own C:\Users\<userid> folder.

If you have always unzipped the SQL Developer download zip into C:\Users\<your_user> in the past, is it possible that UAC policy has changed recently at your site?  Did you try running the sqldeveloper.exe as Admin?  See this very old discussion...

Cant Start Oracle SQL Developer 2.1

• 2. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
            BobbyJ

I couldn't say whether or not the UAC policy has changed as I have no visibility to those changes. I had no problems previously or currently with running other apps from the same level in the user directory. In fact v4.1.3 is installed and runs fine from an equivalent level in the directory structure. Unfortunately I can't try running as an admin as it is a work computer and users don't have admin rights to machine. But I wouldn't think that's the root cause since I can run v4.1.3 and prior versions from the same directory level without error.

As a test, I tried opening the \\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf file with notepad and it opened without error.

• 3. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
              BobbyJ

I just noticed something that I didn't see before. The error message says it can't open the sqldeveloper.conf file in the c:\users\xxxxx\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre\sqldeveloper\bin\ directory. The file is actually in a directory one level lower: c:\users\xxxxx\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\, notice that \sqldeveloper repeats.

If the app cannot see files in the subfolders, then that would explain why I'm receiving the error. If the app is explicitly looking in the directory listed in the error message, then it will not find the file since its in a lower level directory. In that case is this a bug?

• 4. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                Gary Graham-Oracle

I actually noticed in your initial post that the reference to sqldeveloper.conf was one directory level higher than its true location but ignored it as possibly being a typo.  Also, I typically install new releases as

C:\Tools\sqldev<3DigitRelNo>

but retested the 4.1.5 install as you have it, as

C:\Users\<myuser>\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre 

which made no difference...  either way works for me.  The misleading error message is strange, probably a bug in itself that has nothing to do with your specific issue.

There is also a recent, on-going similar discussion here.... Install SQLDeveloper 4.1.5

Due to possible restrictions with User Access Control in Windows that get implemented at some sites, I always recommend avoiding installing (unzipping) under C:\Users.  And, as a last resort, even advise using AddVMOption -Dide.user.dir=... to avoid storing user settings under there.   Additional advice in the other post may be of help.   Try starting the product manually from a CMD console window so that any error messages remain in the screen buffer if you have not already done that.

• 5. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                  BobbyJ

Hi Gary,

I tried a couple of your suggestions. I unzipped the file to a new directory C:\Oracle_Tools\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre\.  I am receiving the same error message from the new directory path (see below).

I also tried launching sqldeveloper.exe from the CMD console window and receive the same error message. I have v4.1.3 unzipped to the user directory and it starts and runs fine. I haven not had any issues with launching previous versions until v4.1.5.

Screenshot - 2016_10_05_001.png

I'm not sure why it's not starting.

• 6. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

Very strange.  In order to replicate that behavior in my environment, I must open properties for sqldeveloper.conf, go to the Security tab and explicitly deny read on it.  It works fine when the settings look like this...

sqldeveloper_conf_security_properties.jpg

• 7. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5

I am receiving the same error message from the new directory path (see below).

Ok - the message says it can't open the file.

So did you do the obvious and see if YOU can open that file with a simple text editor?

I'm not sure why it's not starting.

Huh? It's 'not starting' because it can't open the config file.

• 8. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                        BobbyJ

I verified the security access for the file. My user ID shows having access to "Full Control" - Read, Write, Modify, Execute. I confirmed again that I can open the file manually with Notepad. I also made an edit to sqldeveloper.conf and saved the edit without any error.

I also tried launching sqldeveloper.exe from within \\sqldeveloper-4.1.5.21.78-no-jre\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\. When I tried that, I just got a quick dialog box that flashed up and disappeared, but no error message.

Still at a loss what is different in this version compared to previous versions that all ran fine without error or any additional configuration.

• 9. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                          Gary Graham-Oracle

Still at a loss what is different in this version compared to previous versions...

Me too.  Just to clarify / reiterate , I want to make sure you are doing everything possible to capture any error messages.  Earlier I said...

Try starting the product manually from a CMD console window so that any error messages remain in the screen buffer if you have not already done that.

In more detail...

0. Just to be sure you are starting with a clean environment, you may wish to download and unzip 4.1.5 again.  Also,

delete or rename user settings folder C:\Users\<youruserid>\AppsData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.1.5.21.78

1. Edit your sqldeveloper.conf file and change the line...

IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-nondebug.conf

to

IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-debug.conf

3. Open a command window and CD to your sqldeveloper\bin directory

4. Execute the sqldeveloper.exe from there, and possibly skip migrating user settings to see if that helps.

5. And, by following these steps, hopefully nothing will just flash by and disappear.

If SQL Developer still cannot open the conf file, then try asking for help from your internal IT support on why older versions work but not 4.1.5.  Best wishes on working through this.

• 10. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                            evamcdaz

Gary , this was very helpful. I was finally able to see why my new install of SqlDeveloper on a newly imaged Win 10 PC kept crashing after only a few seconds running.  It appears that I have an issue with the graphics card/driver that is installed on the PC.

Problematic frame:

# C  [atig6pxx.dll+0x44e2]

Thank you!

Eva

• 11. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                              BobbyJ

Ok, I resolved my own issue. I looks like the issue was caused by an option set in my archive extractor utility, PeaZip. When I extracted the SQLDev archive, I had an option set to "Remove redundant directory on extraction in new folder". The effect of using the option was that the first level of the archive \sqldeveloper was removed since it contains no files or folders. The first level in the extracted directory contained the sqldeveloper.exe file and all of the subfolders. The result was that everything was brought up one level compared to the structure in the archive, except the \\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\ directory. This caused the sqldeveloper.exe to get confused.

After unchecking the option and re-extracting the archive, and verifying the folder structure matched the archive, I had no further issues starting sqldeveloper.exe. No more error messages accessing sqldeveloper.conf.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Error Starting v4.1.5
                                Gary Graham-Oracle

Thanks for the update.  You might want to report a bug against that option of PeaZip.  It is not the first time a bug in an unarchiver has caused problems:

sqldev 3.2.10 not starting on osx - java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/