11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 9:34 PM by 3310714

Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.

Hi,

We are using OBIEE 12.2.1.0.0 and just started created some analysis, but ran into errors about "Exceeded configured maximum number of output records, prompts,"  error message.  I did some research, but most of the examples were for OBIEE 11g, so I wasn't sure if it's the same for 12c. 

Sections 17.3 and 17.4 in https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1221/biee/BIESG/answersconfigset.htm#BIESG3278  says to update the elements in the instanceconfig.xml.  However, in our 12c instanceconfig.xml it is missing most of the elements mentioned in the article.  Can someone confirmed all the elements need to be added manually?   Why doesn't Oracle just include these elements in the file?  

This is what we have in our instanceconfig.xml in the <Views> section.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
          Andrew Fomin.

Yes, it's normal that instanceconfig.xml doesn't have some tags. You just add them manually.

But! This error " "Exceeded configured maximum number of output records, prompts" connected with this "We are using OBIEE 12.2.1.0.0 and just started created some analysis" is a clear signal that you are possibly doing something wrong.

Typically you get this error when trying to create a kind of mega-report with tens of columns and/or thousands of rows. And usually, the best solution is to adjust requirements, not server parameters.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.

Thank you for your insight.  Yes, our table has about 20000 records, which I don't think is too much?  Would you know if there's a maximum default record limit for OBIEE?

• 3. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
              Christian Berg

3310714 wrote:

Yes, our table has about 20000 records, which I don't think is too much?

Seriously? Who in his right mind reads through 20'000 records? Are your managers or analysts going through their clients one by one?

Yes. It is too much. Yes. You are probably using a wrong approach. Yes. You should never display display this much data.

No. 20k rows is NOT readable.

• 4. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
                Andrew Fomin.

Default maximum records count is 65K after aggregation. But a few other limitations exist, like a number of cells in a pivot table for example.

And +1 to Christian. 20K is too much. As a rule of thumb, I typically use the following consideration: if a human can read and understand a data in a report it is possible OK. If a user has to export the data to excel and apply additional filtering, sorting and so on - the report is definitely not OK.

Just to be clear: 20K, 20M or 20B table in a database is absolutely OK for OBIEE. But it's no OK when you try to show entire table to a user.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
                  Eldar Ametov

Often in real life, users would like to export the records and use elsewhere, and OBI Dev can't force them to change their will. In such cases Devs can his(her) best and provide users with most effective way of work with big umber of records still staying in OBI infrastructure. When users want to have more then 1000 rows out of OBI, it means they probably have to be tough to use SmartView. Second is Export data using CSV (not Excel). Last is configured separately, so Presentation server still not able to show so much records (and not loaded heavily), but user will get their data exported when needed.

--

Eldar

• 6. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
                    Christian Berg

Eldar Ametov wrote:

Often in real life, users would like to export the records and use elsewhere

Why? Where?

If it's in Excel then why not get it from the source? If they need the semantic layer then why not get it from OBIS?

Doing the whole chain datasource(s) -> network -> OBIS -> OBIPS -> network -> browser -> desktop. Is as inefficient as things can get. There are 50 ways of doing things differently and more optimal.

And if they need the data to mash it up in Excel....why not do it in OBI? In Excel you have zero control and zero logging. OBI logs everything.

• 7. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
                      Andrew Fomin.

Eldar Ametov wrote:

Often in real life, users would like to export the records and use elsewhere, and OBI Dev can't force them to change their will. In such cases Devs can his(her) best and provide users with most effective way of work with big umber of records still staying in OBI infrastructure.

Very often users ask not what they really need, but what they think they need. And BI developers should help them to solve their business need not implement their solution.

user: give me all transactions for the last month.

dev: what for?

user: I will load them into excel and find clients with more than 10 transactions.

dev: I can create a report for this task, and you'll get a list of such clients. And I will add parameters for period and transactions count.

user: really? I never thought that was possible.

• 8. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.

Thanks for your insights Andrew!  Yes, our database table is only about 20,000 records.  We are not trying to display all these in the Analysis.  It is good to know about the various settings we can add to the instanceconfig.xml file!  Much appreciated!

• 9. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.
                          Eldar Ametov

Christian,

for cases when OBI is a common layer, you're saying it is an option to access data directly on OBIS level, if you can say few words more, what you mean in here?

Tank you.

--

Eldar

• 11. Re: Default settings for tables, views, graphs, etc.

For those interested, the inline prompt max value can be increased by adding the MaxVisiblePages elements.  The chart max value can be increased by adding the Charts and MaxVisibleColumns elements.  This is for OBIEE 12c.  Still, I agree with other folks here that you may want to adjust the requirements instead.

ScreenShot030.jpg