8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 3:39 PM by StephenA

Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)

StephenA

Under 4.1.5.21 if I have the package body open and click on the Run Icon the dialogue box comes up but never populates and becomes un-responsive. I have to kill SQL Developer from task manager.

This is on 64 Bit Window 7 with the 1.8.0_102 JDK

Anyone else experiencing this?

• 1. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

No known issues here.

Here's the code that dialog relies on

71demo192SELECT PROCEDURE_NAME, OVERLOAD, OBJECT_ID, PIPELINED FROM SYS.Dba_PROCEDURES WHERE OWNER = ? AND OBJECT_NAME = ? AND OBJECT_TYPE = ? 1="<SCHEMA>", 2="<NAME>", 3="PACKAGE"
          • 2. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)

Under 4.1.5.21 if I have the package body open and click on the Run Icon the dialogue box comes up but never populates and becomes un-responsive.

You need to explain that.

You can NOT run 'packages' - you have to select a function/procedure in the package and run that.

So SHOW US:

1. WHAT you do

2. HOW you do it

3. WHAT results you get

Paste the appropriate images.

• 3. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
              Gary Graham-Oracle

If the package has no public members, then the Run Dialog's PL/SQL Block should contain...

Empty package <packagename> definition (no public members).

Otherwise the Target area should list all the public members, defaulting to the first in the list.  As Jeff suggests, you could try running the procedure he lists in his post from the worksheet to see if it hangs or produces an error (although, depending on your user's privileges, it may be ALL_PROCEDURES rather than DBA_PROCEDURES).

Since 4.1.5 went out with the View > Log > Statements (to show all the SQL and PL/SQL going over the jDBC connection) feature disabled, you might want to repeat your test in 4.1.3 or 4.2 EA1 to see the SQL that is actually sent in your environment.  Also, possibly there may be issues if you are connecting to a 10g or earlier Oracle database, but not really certain.  As rp0428 says, you need to provide us with those WHAT / HOW items to get the best response.

• 4. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)

you have to use the command "exec packagename.objectname" to execute the specific function or procedure or any database object within that package.

Cant just make the package body execute.

• 5. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
                  StephenA

When I click on the Green Run icon which brings up the dialogue box where I'd expect to get the procedures and functions listed in the "target" area I get this.

stuck.PNG

and that's all that happens - the dialog sticks at the front but is unresponsive. The query Jeff gave returns what I'd expect if I change it to all_procedures.

I never got this in 4.1.3 - we're running against an 11.2 DB.

Its not consistent and there seems to be no logic over when it happens - but it does it across multiple database and schemas.

• 6. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
                    thatJeffSmith-Oracle

true, but in sqldev, when  you 'execute' a package, it brings up a list of functions and procedures in that package. you pick one. you supply any required inputs...and then it builds an anon block to execute your code.

• 7. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

use the view > Log > statements panel

when it happens, see the code being ran, and test it. if it returns nothing, that's why the dialog is blank.

• 8. Re: Run Dialogue on Package Body (4.1.5.21)
                        StephenA

The problem is that with the empty dialogue box at the front (which wont close) its stolen the focus and so nothing else is accessible.

So the only alternative left is to terminate the whole application, and thus lose anything you've got in any unsaved tabs.