1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 9:37 AM by Kiran Pawar

ORDS Problems with 404 after server restart

Darryl Maraj

I have a weird error that I don't know how to begin troubleshooting.

I have Oracle 12C Standard Edition that I installed APEX 5.0.4 on. I configured APEX Rest Services and downloaded and installed ORDS. Here are the challenges I ran into:

1. I couldn't find a way to start ORDS as a service to avoid having to put an EE server like Glassfish
      2. I installed GlassFish just so that I could automatically have APEX start up when the server rebooted (asadmin create-service)
      3. I am running into a 404 error page every time the server reboots where it says it cannot connect to the database, however, if I go to the command line and type in the following then everything starts working again:
        • java -jar run.war

It's weird because this application is deployed on GlassFish which in the past would automatically start so I am not sure where to begin looking.

• 1. Re: ORDS Problems with 404 after server restart
          Kiran Pawar

Hi,

1003376 wrote:

Please change your user handle to something meaningful. Refer : Video tutorial how to change nickname available

I have a weird error that I don't know how to begin troubleshooting.

Next time you want to debug or troubleshoot you can use the following method:

• Locate the ORDS configuration folder.
          • Enable the Debug Tracing in defaults.xml (If entry is not there add the entry)
          • Enable the Detail Request Error messages in defaults.xml (If entry is not there add the entry)
          • Start(re-start) the ORDS Standalone / Supported Java EE Application Server (if ORDS is deployed to one).
          • Navigate to the APEX page which causes 404 error.
          • Copy/paste the debug log (which is shown on screen) into the forum reply.(Usually the error is at the end of the log, paste/attach the whole log from where the first exception occurs)

I have Oracle 12C Standard Edition that I installed APEX 5.0.4 on. I configured APEX Rest Services and downloaded and installed ORDS.

Please provide the following info regarding your environment details:

NOTE : Here "Detail" means the major+minor version. For e.g. Application Express 4.2.4.00.08

1. I couldn't find a way to start ORDS as a service to avoid having to put an EE server like Glassfish

Why you can use ORDS in Standalone Mode? And with bit of UNIX Shell Scripting knowledge you can create service for it as well (don't know if you are on windows, personally i am more addicted to UNIX).

Refer:

I installed GlassFish just so that I could automatically have APEX start up when the server rebooted (asadmin create-service)

You can use ORDS in Standalone Mode as explained above. Besides, it is advocated to use Supported Java EE Application Server with ORDS.

I am running into a 404 error page every time the server reboots where it says it cannot connect to the database

You can use debugging method mentioned above to track and pin-down such errors.

It's weird because this application is deployed on GlassFish which in the past would automatically start so I am not sure where to begin looking.

You can start from Oracle Documentation. Guessing that you are talking this issue about current ORDS 3.0 and you are referring earlier as ORDS 2.0. Here is the documentation:

See for the release notes and changed behavior. Also you can visit OTN page for ORDS for more information. Refer: Oracle REST Data Services

Looping in Kris Rice-Oracle and Colm Divilly-Oracle who also can help regarding this issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kiran

1 person found this helpful