3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 7:57 PM by Srk600

Caused By: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded,

Ikrama Naser

Dear All,

I'm experiencing one the above error message,(ebs version is 12.2.5) weblogic version is 10.3.6, due to which one manage server oacore_server1 is going down.

Please help  me in order to find the root cause and the steps to resolve the above issue.

Thanks in advance .

• 1. Re: Caused By: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded,
          RameshPatel

You can avoid the above "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded" exception by disabling the GC overhead limit feature in Sun JDK 1.6 by adding the following argument to the start script of JVM:

-XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit

• 2. Re: Caused By: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded,
            RameshPatel

please cut and paste the error message from the logfile.  I got the same error and had to do the following:

I   startWebLogic.sh file in the Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\\bin directory:

1. Edit the SetDomainEnv.bat file by right clicking and selecting File > Edit.
            2. Change the memory arguments in the file.
            3. Save the file and restart the Weblogic server.
            • 3. Re: Caused By: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded,
              Srk600

The root cause could depend on certain parameters

If  you are on 12.2.5 Delta-7, Oracle optimally designed weblogic to perform well.

How many oacore managed servers you have?

What is the memory you defined for each oacore?

Are you on multinode?

An Xmx of 4G had been the original recommendation from Development, but they have entirely backed off from that now in favor of 2G. Garbage Collection starts when heap memory gets low and when there is 4G to clean that takes a lot of time and that JVM cannot do any EBS work when garbage collection is going on so therefore more JVMs with smaller heaps are better than fewer JVMs with large heaps.

12.2.4 there is an issues for memory leaks, Oracle suggested us to set ICT value.

Also ICT note talks about Patch 21270508. Do you have this patch in place ? Otherwise ICT results can not be trusted.

You better raise an SR# With oracle, and let them review your logs and get best suggestion.