1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 8:25 AM by Bipul Jaishwal

Welcome and Share!

Brandye Barrington-Oracle

Welcome to our new space where you can share your own success story and read about others' successes. We want to know how earning and displaying the Oracle Certification digital badges has enhanced your career.

Read about Saint Paul Tinga.

• 1. Re: Welcome and Share!
          jose luis iturbide

Hello

I'm Jose Luis Iturbide, Mexican SW Developer

I started to work with java in 2003 in a web project. Soon I realize that even my code worked I didn't know java in detail.

That's why I enrolled me in a official course of Sun Microsystems and I liked java so much that I got my first certification in 2006.

Then I got other certifications until to get the Java EE Architect certification from Oracle in 2012.

People says that it is not necessary to be certified to demonstrate that you know java but I think that is true only in certain groups or environments.

In my case to have several certifications has let me to show to many persons that don't know me (HR, Head hunters, etc.) that I invested some time studying. I discovered in advance certain characteristics of Java that may be I only would learn in a stress situation (being reactive).

Also the java certification path gave me certain guidance to know what to learn because when you are inexperienced you don´t know where to go clearly.

All the above is only a personal experience, I have accumulated more good things that bad things

Atte Jose Luis Iturbide

• 2. Re: Welcome and Share!

Jose,

Thanks for sharing!! We are excited to have your story! Please private message me on https://www.facebook.com/OracleCertification/  with your email address. We'd like to write up your experience for the Oracle Certification blog!

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program

• 3. Re: Welcome and Share!
              Adrienne Roey

I've specialized in data reporting and integration for several years.  When a colleague learned that I was studying for the Oracle Certified Associate SQL exam, he said, "Why?"  "You already know this (information)."  While I appreciated his confidence in my abilities  I knew that I was using only a small portion of the features available to me in the latest version of Oracle software.   Certifications are a way for me to stay current with the breadth and depth of the products.

• 4. Re: Welcome and Share!
                jaramill

Brandye:

I echo Adrienne's comments.  I have exactly 20yrs experience as an Oracle Developer but only until 3yrs ago did I decide to get a certification.  My first one was the Oracle SQL Expert : OCE (at the time there wasn't the Oracle SQL Associate).  So not only did I dive into the pool, I had no choice but to go into the deep-end with the expert exam.  After studying for 4 months for it, and passing it on my first attempt it really opened my eyes to how much more vast Oracle SQL is and I immediately felt more confident about the rules of SQL.  That confidence built and then the next year I studied again for 4 months and studied "smarter" for the OCA (Oracle Certified PL/SQL Associate) exam.  Both exams were hard (SQL Expert was harder).

Now I have one more to take: OCP : Oracle Certified Professional for Advanced PL/SQL.  Deciding on either the 11g or 12c exam.  But what the certifications have given me is more confidence and also complimentary attributes to my resume, thus allowing me to increase my salary as I am starting to see a few more job postings where it says "Oracle Certification preferred" or "Oracle Certified Professional required".

• 5. Re: Welcome and Share!

Jose,

Do you mind if we use your comments on our Oracle Certification blog at blogs.oracle.com/certification? We'd love to share your story!

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

• 6. Re: Welcome and Share!

Adrienne,

We'd love to share your story on our blog! Could you send me a private message on the Oracle Certification Facebook page - www.facebook.com/oraclecertification - with your email address? We can work out the details that way.

Thanks for sharing!!

Brandye Barrington

• 7. Re: Welcome and Share!

Jaramill,

We'd love to share your story on our blog! Could you send me a private message on the Oracle Certification Facebook page - www.facebook.com/oraclecertification - with your email address? We can work out the details that way.

Thanks for sharing!!

Brandye Barrington

• 8. Re: Welcome and Share!
                        jaramill

Brandye Barrington-Oracle wrote:

Jaramill,

Thanks for sharing!!

Brandye Barrington

Brandye:

I don't have a Facebook account so is there another way to e-mail you privately?

Thanks,

Jaramill

• 9. Re: Welcome and Share!

Oracle was my first “real world” job coming out of college. Being young, naive, and honestly overwhelmed with the Big Red Oracle machine,  I meet with my manager and said I want to be a DBA. My manager laughed me out of his office and told me go get certified and then we can talk about it. That was in the Oracle 7.3.2 time . . . 15 years later I can say certification started my career and continues to be part of it. Now certification to me is necessary just to prove you can hold the conversation. Being certified states to other we can have an intelligent conversation. Experience is gained over time and then shows up during the conversation. Get certified is a basic requirement now. Invest in yourself and earn it now.

• 10. Re: Welcome and Share!

Hi jaramill,

You could go to blogs.oracle.com/certification and make a comment. Mark the comment - FOR BRANDYE - NOT TO BE PUBLISHED - and I'll get your information and we can chat about this.

Thanks!

Brandye Barrington

• 11. Re: Welcome and Share!

This is a great story! Would you mind us using your story on our blog? Please send a private message through www.facebook.com/oraclecertification with your email address and I'll be in touch about the details.

Thanks!

Brandye Barrington

• 12. Re: Welcome and Share!

My name is Sundeep (oracle employee) and I actually believe in certifications! I like preparing for certifications (the right way) and I have fun learning all sorts of technologies that oracle has to offer. This was also one of my main motivation why I joined this company

I think the value of certifications is not in the title itself, but it is what you learn out of it. I used to remember how people at my previous work place bragged about their certification marks (in the 90s) and mine would be in the 70s range  - but I stayed away from 'brain dumps' and instead dumped my brain into the core materials in order to learn (the right way, the fun way as well). I eventually gained that confidence of 'I can morph anything' because of the breadth of knowledge received from certifications. It eventually shows in your projects, not in your resume (although that doesn't hurt either).

The good thing about oracle is big red owns its stack from top to the bottom - there is so much to learn and things are evolving as we speak. You can choose any tech stack, and you can choose multiple certifications pertaining to different areas as well.

• 13. Re: Welcome and Share!
                                  jaramill

Brandye Barrington-Oracle wrote:

Hi jaramill,

You could go to blogs.oracle.com/certification and make a comment. Mark the comment - FOR BRANDYE - NOT TO BE PUBLISHED - and I'll get your information and we can chat about this.

Thanks!

Brandye Barrington

Hi Brandye:

I did as you asked and posted a message with my contact info.  I refreshed the page on the blog but somehow it doesn't show it.  If you look at my profile, I do have a website link to my digital badges on Acclaim's website.  Perhaps you can get my contact info from CertView?

Thanks,

• 14. Re: Welcome and Share!

Hello!

We'd like to use your story on our blog, similar to these stories

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/giovanni_jaramillo_gains_confidence_with

1 2 Previous Next