8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 10:30 AM by eddie.s

General Questions on Migration

eddie.s

Hi

We are migrating our servers from one virtualization to another. OS is Oracle Linux 6. I have a few questions regarding EBS since my knowledge in this area is very limited.

1) How does EBS connect to the database? Is there any TNSNAMES.ORA file in EBS that we can use to point the application to connect to a different database?

2) How can I ensure that EBS services are up and running on Linux?

3) If database version is changed from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.4, does it affect the EBS?

Instead of migrating the database server, I created a new server and used RMAN to restore/recover. It is a RAC installation.

Any comments/feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: General Questions on Migration
          Shaik

Hi

1)using dbc file $FND_SECURE/SID.dbc application will connect to database

2) In OS level check

ps -ef|grep FNDLIBR for concurrent services

ps -ef|grep http for web services

3) If you upgrade database from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.4 nominal testing from functional and technical required

Interoperability Notes EBS 12.0 and 12.1 with Database 11gR2 (Doc ID 1058763.1)

Yes you can migrate the database with RMAN and it's certified, now sync the application with new database

R11i / R12: Oracle E-Business Suite Upgrades and Platform Migration (Doc ID 1377213.1)

Regards

Shaik

• 2. Re: General Questions on Migration
            eddie.s

Hi Shaik

Thank you for your quick reply.

One more question, if I have changed the name(SID) of the database during migration, how do I setup EBS with the new database SID and other connection string parameters such as SCAN IPs etc?

• 3. Re: General Questions on Migration
              Shaik

Hi

Application end perform clone activity since you changed the SID .

Please go through the below note. [Section 7: Applications Tier Cloning for RAC]

Cloning Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 RAC-Enabled Systems with Rapid Clone (Doc ID 559518.1)

Regards

Shaik

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: General Questions on Migration
                eddie.s

Hi Shaik

I am stuck with one issue. Let me explain the situation to you first so you can suggest me the right approach.

We have a 2 node RAC cluster on Linux. We are using ASM. Grid Infrastructure is installed taking care of clustering part. Our database version is 11.2.0.4 and same is the version of Grid Infrastructure. SCAN is working as expected.

We are trying to setup EBS 11i on a different Linux machine. This EBS shall connect to the database on RAC. Database is the clone of production database with all the underlying objects/data etc.

Issue: SCAN is not accepted during the configuration phase of EBS setup. I searched on web and found different opinions etc on how to allow EBS to use SCAN. Unfortunately since my understanding of EBS is limited, I am having some difficulty in that.

I would really appreciate if you could list step-by-step instructions on how to achieve that considering that EBS will be on a separate machine than the 2-node RAC database.

Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: General Questions on Migration
                  Shaik

Hi

What is your ebs application version is it 11i or R12?

Regards

Shaik

• 6. Re: General Questions on Migration
                    Shaik

Hi

If you are on 11i follow the below note:

sing Oracle 11g Release 2 Real Application Clusters with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i (Doc ID 823586.1)

Appendix D: Using SCAN Listener with Oracle E-Business Suite 11i

If you are on R12 follow the below note:

Using Oracle Real Application Clusters 11g Release 2 with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 823587.1)

Appendix D: Enabling/Disabling SCAN Listener Support in AutoConfig

Regards

Shaik

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: General Questions on Migration
                      eddie.s

Hi Shaik

Thank you for your suggestion. I have gone through that note earlier but it was confusing hence this post.

sqlplus>show parameter local_listener in my RAC environment shows a values pointing to the VIP.  My SCAN listener is listening on port 1521. As per the document, there should be a local listener listening on 1531. Do I need to create a new listener on each node that uses port 1531? When running ./netca on database nodes, I am presented with choices of Cluster Listener or Local Node Listener, which one shall I choose?
                      Step 5 is to run autoconfig. I believe this is EBS specific but then why is it showing in the section of Database Tier? How can I run autoconfig on database nodes?
                      By TNS_ADMIN, does it mean $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory on each database node? My current TNSNAMES does not have any entry of SID_LOCAL and the doc mentioned that I have to create a copy of TNSNAMES and remove all references to it.
                      And the final step says to ensure that all aliases connect through SCAN listener except for SID_LOCAL. Again there is no entry for SID_LOCAL in my tnsnames.ora file.
                      3.7.1 discuss about steps to perform on all RAC nodes. I am not sure whether it is database tier RAC or application? Few things seems like Application specific like $AD_TOP while others seems more like database related like ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN etc. Now if my databases are on separate servers,  how will i put these entries?
                      Also point 11 in the same section is confusing because it jumps to db tier for a file that I dont believe should exist on database nodes.
                      That is the reason why i need your advice in setting it up since it is becoming really confusing for me.

Thank you for your help.

• 8. Re: General Questions on Migration
                        eddie.s

Issue solved

Thank you very much for your help