4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 5:46 AM by Aryacool

Disk Device /dev/disk/disk30 is 97.405% busy

Aryacool

Hi All,

i need some about on this, We have 1600(Prod/DEV/QA).

We get this type of alert from OEM that disk busy, is this the problem of oracle that doing lot of I/O or the storage and HP OS team have to look on this type of disk busy issue.

Regards.

Arya

• 1. Re: Disk Device /dev/disk/disk30 is 97.405% busy
          AndrewSayer

My immediate thought is that Oracle has no idea what IO capacity your storage is capable of so how could it come up with such a metric? The team responsible for your storage systems should be able to tell you exactly what they're capable of and what their current utilisation is. If it is really 97% busy then it still has some capacity.

A metric is just a metric until you actually have a performance problem. If some critical process is taking longer than it should and a large chunk of time is spent dealing with IO then perhaps it is something that needs looking at. The typical way of doing less physical IO is to do less IO, perhaps you have queries that would benefit from indexing? Perhaps you are writing data more frequently than you should due to over indexing, or use of standard tables when global temporary tables are more appropriate, or perhaps a lot of data is being direct path loaded and Oracle can't buffer the write, perhaps your buffer cache is undersized so you are having to go to disk a lot more than usual. Thats a whole lot of possible causes and they're just off the top of my head. To actually find out what's going wrong, you would use the diagnostic information Oracle can give you, tracing your critical processes that are running too slow is the first place to start. You may find that your critical processes are not bound by IO at all!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disk Device /dev/disk/disk30 is 97.405% busy
            John Thorton

Aryacool wrote:

Hi All,

i need some about on this, We have 1600(Prod/DEV/QA).

We get this type of alert from OEM that disk busy, is this the problem of oracle that doing lot of I/O or the storage and HP OS team have to look on this type of disk busy issue.

Regards.

Arya

which metric at what value signifies the disk (sub-system) is a performance bottleneck?

which Oracle objects reside on this volume?

What you have is an (isolated) observation. Why do you deem this value to be a "problem"?

How do I ask a question on the forums?

• 3. Re: Disk Device /dev/disk/disk30 is 97.405% busy
              BPeaslandDBA

The disk was flooded with lots of I/O requests. It's not completely saturated but not far from it either. You have to figure out what this disk is. Work with your SysAdmin. Is this disk used for the OS? for the database? for something else? Once you know that, you can determine a better course of action.

Cheers,
              Brian

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disk Device /dev/disk/disk30 is 97.405% busy
                Aryacool

these disk are used for database physical file store and dumps as well. So some how got the answer.

Thank you all.