5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 7:04 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle

SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10

Jayme Jeffman

Hello,

I am using SQL Developer 4.1.0.19 ( build 19.07 ) on Windows 10 recovered from a crash.

Sometimes when I click on the SQLDeveloper icon to start it nothing happens until I restart Windows and click on the icon again.

What is going on ? Any clue on this matter ?

Is there any log file to check ?

Best regards.

Jayme Jeffman

• 1. Re: SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10
          Gbenga Ajakaye

Can you locate \sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe and try to launch it from there and see if that helps?

It's possible that your Windows jdk path isn't recognizable or missing.

You should have sqldeveloper.conf file that contains a reference to your JDK directory. Find your jdk path and make sure it's reflected in your sqldeveloper.conf file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10
            Gary Graham-Oracle

And when running sqldeveloper.exe from the bin directory, don't just click on it from within Explorer.  Instead, open a Cmd window and run it from there so the window does not close if SQL Developer should close, either normally or abnormally.

Also, keep in mind that any SetJavaHome line in sqldeveloper.conf is no longer respected as of the 4.x.x releases.  Instead, for the release you have, it should be set in the product.conf file under C:\Users\<youruserid>\AppData\Roaming\sqldeveloper\4.1.0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10
              Jayme Jeffman

Thank you  for answering me, but it is not a JDK problem I guess.

• 4. Re: SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10
                Jayme Jeffman

Thank you for answering me.

I have found the product.conf file in the folder you have pointed to me:

[code]

<cut>

# By default, the product launcher will search for a JDK to use, and if none

# can be found, it will ask for the location of a JDK and store its location

# in this file. If a particular JDK should be used instead, uncomment the

# line below and set the path to your preferred JDK.

#

SetJavaHome C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_112

<cut>

[/code]

• 5. Re: SQL Developer does not start on Windows 10
                  Gary Graham-Oracle

In order to debug this issue, it would be best to follow my suggestion to run ...\bin\sqldeveloper.exe from a Cmd window.  You may also wish to change the IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-nondebug.conf line to IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-debug.conf in your .../bin/sqldeveloper.conf file.

If you do run from the Cmd window then any SQL Developer generated error messages will appear in the window.  If the JVM crashes, the dump should list out on the window.  The dump log with the same information should also appear in that ...\bin directory (unless you override it: java - how to set location of jvm crash log files - Stack Overflow ).  When the JVM crashes, it is often the result of a video driver not playing well with Java. I did not mention this in my first post since you said the failure to start up does not occur all the time. You might also try looking in the event logs that Windows maintains for any additional information.

There may be other cases where SQL Developer does not launch consistently, but you specifically noted clicking on the SQL Developer icon (either a .exe or a shortcut to a .exe).  For example, there are also issues with double clicking on a .sql file from Explorer when the .sql file extension has an association to SQL Developer.