7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 1:21 PM by fac586

images in APEX application

Sally.A

hello

i need to advice me, which of these tow options consider as best practices to upload images into APEX application :

1) upload image to database table as BOLB

2) read them from file system

???

• 1. Re: images in APEX application
          Marcin Izdebski

Hi,

Small correction: it is BLOB not bolb  

BLOB (stands for binary large objects ) and CLOB (character large objects)

When it comes to images it is good to store them on the file system. Apex also stores their images in Oracle home img directory.

Storing pictures on the file system enables possibility for caching, which is pretty useful when serving content over the web.

On the other hand storing multimedia objects in a database would ensure data consistency, you can also benefit from database security and performance.

It depends from your business case ...

Cheers!!

Marcin

• 2. Re: images in APEX application
            fac586

user12502220 wrote:

Please update your forum profile with a recognisable username instead of "user12502220": Video tutorial how to change nickname available

i need to advice me, which of these tow options consider as best practices to upload images into APEX application :

1) upload image to database table as BOLB

2) read them from file system

???

It depends. How will the images be used? Who is doing the uploading?

• 3. Re: images in APEX application
              Sally.A

the images which will be upload is related to employee , fro example his/her personal picture and many other content will be saved as images like passport , Birth Certificate ... etc

about my username i will modify it

• 4. Re: images in APEX application
                fac586

Sally.A wrote:

the images which will be upload is related to employee , fro example his/her personal picture and many other content will be saved as images like passport , Birth Certificate ... etc

In which case they should be stored as BLOBs or multimedia objects in the database where they can be protected by appropriate security measures.

• 5. Re: images in APEX application
                  fac586

Marcin Izdebski wrote:

When it comes to images it is good to store them on the file system. Apex also stores their images in Oracle home img directory.

Storing pictures on the file system enables possibility for caching, which is pretty useful when serving content over the web.

APEX applications that store images in the database can benefit from browser caching if the images are served using an appropriate method.

• 6. Re: images in APEX application
                    Sally.A

so you advice me to sotre them in database ??

• 7. Re: images in APEX application
                      fac586

Sally.A wrote:

so you advice me to sotre them in database ??

Yes, and in a way that enables access to them to be controlled and audited. Passports and birth certificates are very sensitive data.