6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 7:04 PM by oos1970

My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1

DeepakJ

Hi,

I have an apex application (5.0) in Universal Theme 42.

I am now upgrading the existing Universal Theme to the latest version with 5.1

Here are the steps I went through.

- Shared Components - Themes

- The "Subscribed From" column for Universal Theme says - "Nonexistent Master".

This should have been "Theme Repository", my question is how to fix this.

- AND when I Click "Verify" in the "Verify Theme Subscription Dialog", I get the following message

Subscription Status

Current theme does not match master theme

- AND when I do "Refresh Theme", I get following error.

1 error has occurred

ORA-20001: Unable to refresh template, parent template not found.

My question is, how I can I fix this and upgrade my UT theme to the latest version of 5.1

----

Thanks,

Deepak

• 1. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
          fac586

DeepakJ wrote:

I have an apex application (5.0) in Universal Theme 42.

I am now upgrading the existing Universal Theme to the latest version with 5.1

Here are the steps I went through.

- Shared Components - Themes

- The "Subscribed From" column for Universal Theme says - "Nonexistent Master".

This should have been "Theme Repository", my question is how to fix this.

The real question might be "How did this situation occur?"

Could the app have been created as a copy of another that has since been deleted?

- AND when I Click "Verify" in the "Verify Theme Subscription Dialog", I get the following message

Subscription Status

Current theme does not match master theme

- AND when I do "Refresh Theme", I get following error.

1 error has occurred

ORA-20001: Unable to refresh template, parent template not found.

My question is, how I can I fix this and upgrade my UT theme to the latest version of 5.1

I haven't encountered this, but I did have an app that had been created as a clone of a heavily modified clone and showed the ID of the original source app under "Subscribed From". I came up with the following workaround, but this may have undesirable consequences in some cases (see posts below):

1. Export the application as a back-up.

2. Export the app's existing version of theme 42 (Universal Theme).

3. Re-import this copy of the theme as a custom theme (if there are no other custom themes it will be theme 101).

4. Switch themes from 42 to 101 (or whatever the custom theme number is), ensuring that the template classes are correctly matched.

5. Test the app is working and looks as expected.

6. Delete theme 42.

7. Recreate theme 42 from the Theme Repository.

8. Switch themes from 101 to 42, ensuring that the template classes are correctly matched.

9. Test the app is working and looks as expected.

10. Export the application as a back-up (don't overwrite the previous export, in case anything untoward becomes apparent later).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
            m.schroeder

Wow, i have the exact same problem.

When we were starting with APEX (with version 4.2.6) we often copied created apps to use as a base for some other apps, then some old apps got deleted and some not and so on. We also exported apps from one workspace and imported them to other workspaces. The theme subscription is always "Nonexistant Master". Verifying and refreshing the theme always displays: "ORA-20001: Unable to refresh template, parent template not found.".

Now when i follow your workaround (thanks for that) on a cloned test instance for one app i saw the following:

- the active theme (42) is now correctly subscribed from the theme repository - good

- the navigation menu list entries got deleted so i had to recreate them - bad but ok this was a mistake i resolved myself, i had two lists and one was empty and defined as the nav menu

- all template options of all components are now resetted to default values - very bad

This is a major drawback for me as i have to go through all the affected apps and all the template options (strech form fields, label alignment, label position, colors etc.) to bring them back to the desired appearance. Is there maybe any other way to fix the broken theme subscription without the struggle to review all template options?

Thanks

• 3. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
              fac586

m.schroeder wrote:

Wow, i have the exact same problem.

When we were starting with APEX (with version 4.2.6) we often copied created apps to use as a base for some other apps, then some old apps got deleted and some not and so on. We also exported apps from one workspace and imported them to other workspaces. The theme subscription is always "Nonexistant Master". Verifying and refreshing the theme always displays: "ORA-20001: Unable to refresh template, parent template not found.".

Now when i follow your workaround (thanks for that) on a cloned test instance for one app i saw the following:

- the active theme (42) is now correctly subscribed from the theme repository - good

- the navigation menu list entries got deleted so i had to recreate them - bad but ok

Interesting to get that confirmed. It occurred here as well, but I wasn't 100% sure I hadn't done something to affect the menu beforehand. Closer inspection revealed that the entries had not been deleted, but that the Navigation Menu List setting in the User Interface attributes had been changed from the original "Desktop Navigation List" value to a newly created (and empty) "Navigation List". It wasn't necessary to recreate the list entries, just switch back to the correct list.

- all template options of all components are now resetted to default values - very bad

This is a major drawback for me as i have to go through all the affected apps and all the template options (strech form fields, label alignment, label position, colors etc.) to bring them back to the desired appearance.

The app I used this procedure on was a prototype developed by someone else that I had just picked up. I'm not very familiar with it so hadn't noticed whether this occurred (but I suspect it had). In the circumstances it isn't an issue for me, as one of the reasons for the upgrade was to be able to use new template options from UT 1.1, so they'd be changing anyway. Obviously it is a big problem where an existing application has lots of customized template options.

Is there maybe any other way to fix the broken theme subscription without the struggle to review all template options?

Not that I'm aware of. The UT migration guide doesn't provide any guidance on what to do if the Subscribed From column doesn't say Theme Repository.

I can understand why the options are reset as a result of this process. Looks like a resolution would require the ability to match template options as well as templates during the theme switching operation.

• 4. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
                m.schroeder

Hi,

i was able to "repair" the theme subscription by updating the column REFERENCE_ID in the table APEX_050000.WWV_FLOW_THEMES with the correct ID-value of the same table. Something like that:

update APEX_050000.WWV_FLOW_THEMES set
                  reference_id = (select id from APEX_050000.WWV_FLOW_THEMES where flow_id = 8842 and theme_id = 42)
                where flow_id = :YOUR_APP_ID and theme_id = 42;

Use at your own risk and recheck. The FLOW_ID 8842 is the APP_ID of the internal hidden app with universal theme master.

This worked for me and i was able to verify and update the theme successfully under shared components. This is APEX version 5.0.4, i will need to recheck this after updating the next clone to 5.1

• 5. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
                  DeepakJ

thanks a lot..

I did exactly what you mentioned and was able to fix it.

only thing is I have to redo all my template options.

• 6. Re: My Universal Theme "Subscribed From" says - "Nonexistent Master". How to upgrade to 5.1
                    oos1970

There is an easier way, provided by the apex documentation.

search the documentation for re-subscribing a theme.

It says:

1. change identification number (link on the right part of the screen) your application is automatically matched to the new theme id

2. click on the [create] theme button (which creates the 42 theme from repository)

3. switches themes

4. make sure everything is matched

5. and voila. your theme is again subscribed.

Regards,

Marco.