7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 6:49 PM by mdtaylor

How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2

user5908263

Hello,

we work with EBS 12.2 and  our NLS CHARACTER_SET on the DB-Tier and on the Apps

Tier are the same = AL32UTF8.

Now we have to change the Charset on the Apps Tier to the WE8ISO8859P15.

( not on the DB -Tier !, just on the  Apps Tier )

Please tell us how can we can do that in EBS 12.2 ?

Thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
          mdtaylor

You can change the NLS_LANG everywhere in $CONTEXT_FILE and run autoconfig.

grep NLS_LANG $CONTEXT_FILE

<NLS_LANG oa_var="s_tools_nlslang">American_America.AL32UTF8</NLS_LANG>

<NLS_LANG oa_var="s_weboh_nlslang">American_America.AL32UTF8</NLS_LANG>

<NLS_LANG oa_var="s_nlslang">American_America.AL32UTF8<NLS_LANG>

<FORMS_OVERRIDE_ENV oa_var="s_forms_override_env">NLS_LANG,NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS,NLS_SORT,NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE,NLS_DATE_FORMAT,FORMS_USER_DATE_FORMAT,FORMS_USER_DATETIME_FORMAT,FORMS_OUTPUT_DATE_FORMAT,FORMS_OUTPUT_DATETIME_FORMAT,FORMS_ERROR_DATE_FORMAT,FORMS_ERROR_DATETIME_FORMAT,FORMS_TZFILE,FORMS_DATETIME_SERVER_TZ,FORMS_DATETIME_LOCAL_TZ,FORMS_USER_CALENDAR</FORMS_OVERRIDE_ENV>

This would not be recommended by Oracle, but may work since WE8ISO8859P15 is a subset of AL32UTF8.

Does the APPS characterset value have to match the database characterset value? (Doc ID 1645162.1)

What business requirement are you trying to solve by doing this?  If you need to print/view multibyte characters this will likely not work.

• 2. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
            user5908263

Thanks for your answer.

>What business requirement are you trying to solve by doing this?  If you need to print/view multibyte >characters this will likely not work.

Yes, the trouble is we can  not print some german charactes, that are two-bytes in AL32UTF2.

As far as the Note 1645162.1 says 'The DB characterset and the APPS Tier characterset should match..' ,
            I think we have first  change the DB Character Set AL32UTF8 -> WE8ISO8859P15 and then....oh,ehh..

What would the best solution to change DB and APPS character sets in EBS ?

• 3. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
              mdtaylor

If you want to do anything with multibyte, you need to be AL32UTF8.  Make sure you are using Pasta for printing and review the following docs for NLS and printing.

Oracle E-Business Suite NLS Release Notes, Release 12.2 (Doc ID 1314621.1)

How To Print Concurrent Requests in PDF Format (Doc ID 333504.1)

11i-R12 How To Setup Pasta Quickly and Effectively (Doc ID 356501.1)

How To Print XML Publisher PDF Reports From The Concurrent Manager (Doc ID 338990.1)

How To Investigate Printing Issues and Work Towards its Resolution? (Doc ID 297522.1)

• 4. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
                user5908263

Pasta ? I have never heard it before. Well, i have looked in the recommended Notes.

Many Thanks! Perhaps I will use it as a latest rescue. In the meantime we test our own workaround.

Thank goodness !, there is perl, shell and a couple of nice decoder, that will help us ( I hope)

to solve this problem.

From the Note: 443778.1

1. >PDF under a UTF8 character set environment is not supported in Applications 11i.
                - great !

2. >E-Business Suite (EBS) does not support the generation and/or the printing of

> Oracle Reports base reports in the PDF format on an instance installed with the

>UTF8 character set.
                - superb !

3.>Oracle Reports 10g base PDF format is not supported in EBS Release 12 in UTF8 / AL32UTF8 >environment.
                - excellent !

Good piece of advice: NEVER take UTF8 / AL32UTF8 as NLS_CHARACTER_SET for your applications  database,  if the main part of your business is out of English language environment.
                You will:  1.  get some serious problems and 2.You will never be able to convert it back to your native CHARACTER_SET as  WE8ISO8859P1 f. e.      
                AL32UTF8 in Oracle EBS is one way ticket.

• 5. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
                  mdtaylor

Please also review the following notes on IX Printing.

How to Setup IX Library Quickly and Effectively (Doc ID 728077.1)

Fonts Displayed As Junk Characters In PDF Report Output (Doc ID 1218354.1)

I have never heard of anyone having problems printing international characters on multibyte AL32UTF8, but plenty of issues using WE8ISO8859P1 or US7ASCII.

Pasta is super easy to use, just ensure you have pdftops installed in the OS and use the PDF Publisher printer style.

• 6. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
                    user5908263

Thanks mdtaylor, each your post make me stronger and stronger, but why I would not be used pasta as a primary solution ? If I'm not mistaken, Pasta has 2 fonts only and both are TruType  ? It is big enough to generate pretty and performant reports ?

• 7. Re: How to change NLS_CHARACTER_SET on the APPS-Tier in ENS 12.2
                      mdtaylor

It is the combination of IX Library and Pasta which provides the unicode multibyte special character printing capabilities in Oracle Applications.  You can specify the font which meets your needs in the configuration files for IX and Pasta printing.