7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 9:06 PM by 994426

RPD Custom Code

Hello,

In our Project, we get multiple requests to update the OBIEE RPD Presentation Layer. Specifically, the mouse-over definitions. The issue is that a minor change in the definition needs to be followed by thorough validation process from Dev - Test - Production RPD. Is there a way by which I can link an Excel document that captures the definitions for the attributes with the RPD? My idea is to update the Excel document, run some script (I dont even know if this is possible) which can update the RPD?

Also, a lot of reporting tools have some kind of access to metadata/system tables/SDK/methods that can be used to make custom modifications. I dont know if OBIEE provides any such functionalities. There are lot of tools available within the RPD such as creating RPD documentation. Does anyone one how that works? What language has been used to build that functionality? I want to be able to create custom codes but I dont have any clue how to get started on this.

Your feedback is very valuable!

• 1. Re: RPD Custom Code
          Christian Berg

Why reinvent the wheel when there's standard standard functionality doing that automatically for you?

Localizing Metadata Names in the Repository

• 2. Re: RPD Custom Code

Thanks for the response Christian. But, I think this method is used to convert/translate the catalog from one language to another.

My use case is that I want to update the attribute description of my RPD by not manually doing it in RPD but rather in an external file such as Excel/CSV that can be used to update the RPD. This will save time because I can make quick updates to the Excel which can trigger changes to RPD. I am not looking to translate my catalog into another language.

• 3. Re: RPD Custom Code
              Christian Berg

Who says you can't invent a language called "MyLanguage" and use it to read from a DB table which contains what you want?

But if you insist I'm sure there's someone in here who's willing to help you destroy your RPD. Of course it's way more clever to actually rewrite metadata than dynamically read from a table. You're absolutely right. Hardcode that stuff. Have fun.

• 4. Re: RPD Custom Code
                Gianni Ceresa

Stop thinking you know exactly what you need and look things in a more objective way: all you are asking for is what Christian posted.

You want to be able to change descriptions? Well ... there is a why to do it which is quite simple to use.

So why do you fix yourself on the idea you need something else?

Sure there are ways to dynamically update the RPD (look for NQS functions for example, you will discover the guy who talked/wrote about it is somebody you already heard ....), but this require other things to work fine and I can already tell you that you have 90% chances to destroy your RPD or corrupt it. So no need to worry anymore about Dev - Test - Prod as you will not be able to touch your RPD anymore and so deploy a new RPD and restart the service etc.

Look what has been posted, try it and you will find out it's a simple way to have a dynamic source for descriptions ...

• 5. Re: RPD Custom Code

Thank you Gianni for your response.

It really sucks that I don't have access to a development environment where I can try this, I was just asking this question hoping there would be hope for a solution which I can suggest to my development team. It seems there is hope (thanks to yo guys).

I will search on internet if I can find blogs demonstrating this capability (I am excited I have something to work on).

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 6. Re: RPD Custom Code
                    Christian Berg

994426 wrote:

I was just asking this question hoping there would be hope for a solution which I can suggest to my development team.

There is. What I wrote.

994426 wrote:

I will search on internet if I can find blogs demonstrating this capability (I am excited I have something to work on).

There is:

Multilanguage-Support in use - Variables over variables - Andreas Nobbmann - Blogs - triBLOG

https://debaatobiee.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/obiee-localisation-externalize-metadata-strings/

• 7. Re: RPD Custom Code

Thank you Christian for the blogs. This is indeed very helpful.