2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 8:52 PM by Raj Jamadagni

SQLDEV 4.2EA2 occasional slowdown when using RTSM

Raj Jamadagni

So over last couple of days I was modifying some code and running some exhaustive tests. I'd modify package in SQLDeveloper, run the script from sqlplus and observe progress through 'Realtime SQL monitor' window. This all works beautifully, so first kudos to the team. I also noticed the metrics window, i guess this will be enhanced in the future to incorporate more components?

However after being at this for an hour or so, I noticed progressively, the SQL editor window started getting very slow to edit code or even typing. At time it took almost a second to have the character gone after hitting backspace key. It felt as if I am typing over a 56k modem. So, I closed the RTSM window, hoping that would speed things up, but no it did not. Only way I got rid of that slowness, was to save all the code to a file, exit out of SQLDev and then restart/reconnect.

I repeated this test again and it behaved the same, so I'd like to know if there is a way to identify if RTSM leaves a thread hanging in the background after window exits? how can one find out? Wen it happens again, is there anything specific you'd want me to do to capture info? My desktop is sufficiently powerful, 4 cores, 16GB mem, 64bit Win7 pro.

Thanks

Raj

• 1. Re: SQLDEV 4.2EA2 occasional slowdown when using RTSM
          Gary Graham-Oracle

I'd like to know if there is a way to identify if RTSM leaves a thread hanging in the background after window exits?

I think that is unlikely, but perhaps someone else will have more insight into that.  Instead, I would suspect Java memory limits and garbage collection overhead, so...

For general performance tuning of the IDE itself, it is best to refer to tuning information for the JDeveloper IDE upon which SQL Developer is based: https://blogs.oracle.com/ArdaEralp/entry/performance_tuning_jdeveloper_12c

except...

1. Whenever there is a reference to jdev.conf substitute sqldeveloper.conf (in 4.2 installation's...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin)

2. Whenever there is a reference to ide.conf substitute product.conf (in C:\Users\<your_user>AppData\Roaming\sqldeveloper\4.2.0)

In my experience, adding these settings to the default sqldeveloper.conf and bumping up the memory limits a bit in product.conf from the defaults of 128M min / 800M max does seem to make the UI a bit snappier. I usually go with 256M / 2048M. Probably a combination of more aggressive garbage collection and a higher memory limit will help to avoid the slowdown you experience.  I do note a warning message when starting up SQL Developer from a Cmd window...

warning: Using incremental CMS is deprecated and will likely be removed in a future release

but recommendations like those in the blog above evolve over time, taking advantage of whatever latest and greatest switches become available.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SQLDEV 4.2EA2 occasional slowdown when using RTSM
            Raj Jamadagni

Thank you Gary Let me test this out.