1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 9:51 AM by Cookiemonster76

Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?

PLSQL_GUY

I get the same result-set using 2 methods.

One SQL uses sub-queries, the cost is 3.

The other SQL uses joins and the cost is 2.

Does this mean that the query which uses sub-queries will run 33.33% slower than the query which uses joins?

I.e. If it takes 3 minutes for the query with sub-queries to execute, does this mean that the query with

joins will take only 2 minutes, given all other conditions are equal?

• 1. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
          Barbara Boehmer

Comparing the cost of two queries is meaningless.  Please see the following article by Tom Kyte.

https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:313416745628

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
            rp0428

Did I understand you correctly?

So you have two queries.

And you executed both queries.

And you want to know how long they take compared to each other

I.e. If it takes 3 minutes for the query with sub-queries to execute, does this mean that the query with

But you didn't bother to measure how long they took?

Did it occur to you that you could have answered your own question if you have just timed the queries?

• 3. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
              PLSQL_GUY

Barbara Boehmer wrote:

Comparing the cost of two queries is meaningless. Please see the following article by Tom Kyte.

Then what is the purpose of the COST column?

• 4. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                Nimish Garg

If Database Stats are upto date, then yes (almost) query with the lower cost will run fast. But it is not an exact science.

I would suggest you to look at physical reads and consistent gets too in AutoTrace.

• 5. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                  Andrew Sayer

PLSQL_GUY wrote:

Barbara Boehmer wrote:

Comparing the cost of two queries is meaningless. Please see the following article by Tom Kyte.

To ESTIMATE the amount of work a plan will do so that the cheapest plan for a particular query can be chosen.

As it is based on statistics and math, it could be wrong. Typically this happens when your statistics don't represent your data (maybe there's skew in some column, maybe columns are related, maybe you gathered stats when the table was empty).

If you want to know how much work really happened then enabling row source execution statistics (set statistics_level=all or gather_plan_statistics hint) , executing the query and then viewing the execution statistics using a call to dbms_xplan.Display_cursor with the appropriate sql_id and a format which includes 'allstats last'

• 6. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                    Andrew Sayer

Nimish Garg wrote:

If Database Stats are upto date, then yes (almost) query with the lower cost will run fast. But it is not an exact science.

I would suggest you to look at physical reads and consistent gets too in AutoTrace.

Up to date stats does not mean representative stats.

• 7. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                      BluShadow

PLSQL_GUY wrote:

Barbara Boehmer wrote:

In principle the cost column is more important to the database internally.

When you submit a query the database optimizer may produce several different plans internally (they are essentially different "paths" for how it can join and restrict data).  For each of those plans for that one query, the optimizer will determine a cost based on the statistics related to the tables and data, and then it will pick the plan that has the lowest cost.  So, the cost is useful internally for the optimizer to pick the best plan for a single query, but it's not really useful for comparing two different queries for us a developers/performance tuners, as the cost is only really relevant to different plans of the same query.  I haven't followed the AskTom link, but if it's the one I think it is, Tom says that he wishes they hadn't included the cost in the explain plan output as it causes people to mistakenly believe they can use it to compare different queries.

Sure you can use it to see when a query is obviously going wrong e.g. a cost in the thousands or millions is typically indicative of a slow query, but you'd also determine that from the other information in the plan, such as the rows returned, or the estimated time taken, the amount of I/O and the nature of the joins being used etc.

• 9. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                        PLSQL_GUY

I think Tom Kyte could be true.

I did this test:

I got a same result-set from 2 different queries. Once used sub-queries (SQL1)

SELECT *
                          FROM table1
                         where col1 = (SELECT col1
                                         FROM table2
                                        WHERE col2 = (SELECT col2
                                                        FROM table3
                                                       WHERE col3 = 99999
                                                         AND col4 = 'some name'));

The cost of this query is given as 3.

I used joins to get the same output using another query (SQL2):

SELECT table1.*
                          FROM table1
                          JOIN table2 ON (col1)
                          JOIN table3 ON (col2 AND col3 = 99999 AND col4 = 'some name');

The cost of this query is given as 6.

But if I run the 2 queries using SET TIMING ON, I get.

SQL> CREATE TABLE t_1 AS SQL1; -- 0.062 seconds

SQL> CREATE TABLE t_2 AS SQL2; -- 0.047 seconds

So, the query which cost more ran 24% quicker than the query which cost less.

• 10. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                          PLSQL_GUY

rp0428 wrote:

So you have two queries.

Did it occur to you that you could have answered your own question if you have just timed the queries?

But in development we don't have enough data to test real world production loads. We have only very few data in the rows.  Both queries executed in sub-second time.  So, how can we compare sub-second times like .047 seconds and .062 seconds?? It will give misleading results, right?

Only if we run against millions of rows in all 3 tables will we get running times of minutes and then only we can get an idea of which is actually faster, right?

• 11. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                            Billy~Verreynne

Your clock time includes I/O. Physical I/O is usually a lot slower than logical I/O. Comparing 2 queries also mean comparing their I/O - where the "better" query could be doing physical I/O cause the data is not yet in the buffer cache, and the "bad" query could be hitting the cache instead. This can result in a more time consumed by the "better" query (doing less I/O), than the "bad" query  (doing more I/O), as the "bad" query's I/O happens to be from memory and not disk.

Unless the I/O between the 2 queries are identically handled (from disk and from cache), wall time clocking the 2 queries for comparison is silly and meaningless.

• 12. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                              Andrew Sayer

PLSQL_GUY wrote:

rp0428 wrote:

So you have two queries.

But in development we don't have enough data to test real world production loads. We have only very few data in the rows. Both queries executed in sub-second time. So, how can we compare sub-second times like .047 seconds and .062 seconds?? It will give misleading results, right?

Only if we run against millions of rows in all 3 tables will we get running times of minutes and then only we can get an idea of which is actually faster, right?

Yes.

So load up your table with representative sample data. Although you probably don't want response times in the minutes, right?

• 13. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                                Martin Preiss

just to add another link Oracle related stuff: Cost Is Time: Next Generation : "The cost estimate generated by the Cost-Based Optimizer (CBO) has always been a time estimate, although expressed in a slightly obscure unit, which is number of single block reads."

The optimizer uses a model to predict the performance of a query - if this model would always be correct (and lower cost would mean faster access) than the optimizer would be absolutely flawless: there would be no need to tune queries manually (of course the optimizer would still need sound statistics).

• 14. Re: Will lower cost queries run faster than higher cost ones always?
                                  Barbara Boehmer

There are a lot of things that can affect the time that it takes a query to run.  It is best if you can test under as realistic circumstances as possible, such as loading tables with sufficient sample data.  It also helps to eliminate anything else that may consume resources on  your computer during testing.  Having the right indexes and current statistics can drastically affect query time.  Also, the first time a query is run, it must be hard parsed and that can consume time.  After that, the query is stored in the SGA and does not have to be hard parsed again.  I have seen a first query run in 7 seconds and subsequent runs of the same query take only 1 second.  If you use bind variables, then each subsequent run of the same query with different values for the bind variables can re-use the same query in the SGA without repeating hard parsing.  You can somewhat simulate timing with smaller data sets by doing multiple runs of the same query.  Tom Kyte once wrote a runstats_pkg that can be used for this.  Tom Kyte does not seem to have it posted anywhere that I can find anymore, although there are various versions with modifications.  I happen to have a copy of his old code that I have posted below, along with a sample execution below that.  You should do multiple runs to confirm that your results are consistent and not just do to variations in things other than your queries.  The two queries that I used below are just for demonstration of how to run the code and not necessarily good queries for demonstrating the results.

-- code that only needs to be run once to grant privileges and create the runstats_pkg:
                                  -- The following code by Tom Kyte requires that the user executing it
                                  -- be granted select on v_$statname, v_$mystat, and v_$latch by sys.
                                  CONNECT sys/sys_password AS SYSDBA
                                  GRANT SELECT ON v_$statname TO scott
                                  /
                                  GRANT SELECT ON v_$mystat TO scott
                                  /
                                  GRANT SELECT ON v_$latch TO scott
                                  /
                                  CONNECT scott/tiger
                                  -- beginning of code by Tom Kyte:
                                  create global temporary table run_stats
                                  ( runid varchar2(15),
                                    name varchar2(80),
                                    value int )
                                  on commit preserve rows;

create or replace view stats
                                  as select 'STAT...' || a.name name, b.value
                                        from v$statname a, v$mystat b
                                      where a.statistic# = b.statistic#
                                      union all
                                      select 'LATCH.' || name,  gets
                                        from v$latch;

create or replace package runstats_pkg
                                  as
                                      procedure rs_start;
                                      procedure rs_middle;
                                      procedure rs_stop( p_difference_threshold in number default 0 );
                                  end;
                                  /

create or replace package body runstats_pkg
                                  as

g_start number;
                                  g_run1  number;
                                  g_run2  number;

procedure rs_start
                                  is
                                  begin
                                      delete from run_stats;

insert into run_stats
                                      select 'before', stats.* from stats;

g_start := dbms_utility.get_time;
                                  end;

procedure rs_middle
                                  is
                                  begin
                                      g_run1 := (dbms_utility.get_time-g_start);

insert into run_stats
                                      select 'after 1', stats.* from stats;
                                      g_start := dbms_utility.get_time;

end;

procedure rs_stop(p_difference_threshold in number default 0)
                                  is
                                  begin
                                      g_run2 := (dbms_utility.get_time-g_start);

dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( 'Run1 ran in ' || g_run1 || ' hsecs' );
                                      dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( 'Run2 ran in ' || g_run2 || ' hsecs' );
                                      dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( 'run 1 ran in ' || round(g_run1/g_run2*100,2) ||
                                        '% of the time' );
                                      dbms_output.put_line( chr(9) );

insert into run_stats
                                      select 'after 2', stats.* from stats;

dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( rpad( 'Name', 30 ) || lpad( 'Run1', 10 ) ||
                                        lpad( 'Run2', 10 ) || lpad( 'Diff', 10 ) );

for x in
                                      ( select rpad( a.name, 30 ) ||
                                              to_char( b.value-a.value, '9,999,999' ) ||
                                              to_char( c.value-b.value, '9,999,999' ) ||
                                              to_char( ( (c.value-b.value)-(b.value-a.value)), '9,999,999' ) data
                                          from run_stats a, run_stats b, run_stats c
                                        where a.name = b.name
                                          and b.name = c.name
                                          and a.runid = 'before'
                                          and b.runid = 'after 1'
                                          and c.runid = 'after 2'
                                          and (c.value-a.value) > 0
                                          and abs( (c.value-b.value) - (b.value-a.value) )
                                                > p_difference_threshold
                                        order by abs( (c.value-b.value)-(b.value-a.value))
                                      ) loop
                                          dbms_output.put_line( x.data );
                                      end loop;

dbms_output.put_line( chr(9) );
                                      dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( 'Run1 latches total versus runs -- difference and pct' );
                                      dbms_output.put_line
                                      ( lpad( 'Run1', 10 ) || lpad( 'Run2', 10 ) ||
                                        lpad( 'Diff', 10 ) || lpad( 'Pct', 10 ) );

for x in
                                      ( select to_char( run1, '999,999,999' ) ||
                                              to_char( run2, '999,999,999' ) ||
                                              to_char( diff, '999,999,999' ) ||
                                              to_char( round( run1/run2*100,2 ), '999,999.99' ) || '%' data
                                          from ( select sum(b.value-a.value) run1, sum(c.value-b.value) run2,
                                                        sum( (c.value-b.value)-(b.value-a.value)) diff
                                                  from run_stats a, run_stats b, run_stats c
                                                  where a.name = b.name
                                                    and b.name = c.name
                                                    and a.runid = 'before'
                                                    and b.runid = 'after 1'
                                                    and c.runid = 'after 2'
                                                    and a.name like 'LATCH%'
                                                  )
                                      ) loop
                                          dbms_output.put_line( x.data );
                                      end loop;
                                  end;

end;
                                  /
                                  -- end of code by Tom Kyte

-- example usage of Tom Kyte's runstats_pkg to compare two queries, running each query 1000 times

-- (you can substitute your own queries and change the number of times run)

-- you execute runstats_pkg.rs_start, then run loops of the first query,

-- then execute runstats_pkg.middle, then run loops of the second query,

-- then execute runstats_pk.stop and see the results of times, latches, and other statistics:
                                  SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 1000000
                                  SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> EXECUTE runstats_pkg.rs_start

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> DECLARE
                                    2    v_dummy NUMBER;
                                    3  BEGIN
                                    4    FOR i IN 1 .. 1000
                                    5    LOOP
                                    6    SELECT COUNT(*) INTO v_dummy
                                    7    FROM emp
                                    8    WHERE deptno IN
                                    9    (SELECT deptno
                                  10    FROM dept);
                                  11    END LOOP;
                                  12  END;
                                  13  /

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> EXECUTE runstats_pkg.rs_middle

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> DECLARE
                                    2    v_dummy NUMBER;
                                    3  BEGIN
                                    4    FOR i IN 1 .. 1000
                                    5    LOOP
                                    6    SELECT COUNT(*) INTO v_dummy
                                    7    FROM emp
                                    8    JOIN dept ON (dept.deptno=emp.deptno);
                                    9    END LOOP;
                                  10  END;
                                  11  /

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> EXECUTE runstats_pkg.rs_stop
                                  Run1 ran in 8 hsecs
                                  Run2 ran in 6 hsecs
                                  run 1 ran in 133.33% of the time

Name                                Run1      Run2      Diff
                                  STAT...Requests to/from client        5        4        -1
                                  LATCH.messages                        0        1        1
                                  STAT...session cursor cache hi    1,005    1,004        -1
                                  STAT...cursor authentications          0        1        1
                                  STAT...free buffer requested          0        1        1
                                  STAT...heap block compress            16        17        1
                                  LATCH.simulator hash latch            5        3        -2
                                  LATCH.cache buffers chains        14,324    14,326        2
                                  LATCH.object queue header oper        3        1        -2
                                  LATCH.OS process allocation            0        2        2
                                  STAT...CPU used by this sessio        7        4        -3
                                  STAT...recursive cpu usage            7        4        -3
                                  STAT...consistent gets examina        14        17        3
                                  STAT...consistent gets examina        14        17        3
                                  STAT...consistent gets pin (fa    7,015    7,018        3
                                  STAT...consistent gets pin        7,015    7,018        3
                                  STAT...cleanout - number of kt        14        17        3
                                  STAT...active txn count during        14        17        3
                                  STAT...HSC Heap Segment Block        26        30        4
                                  STAT...redo entries                  26        30        4
                                  STAT...Heap Segment Array Inse        26        30        4
                                  STAT...consistent gets            7,029    7,035        6
                                  STAT...consistent gets from ca    7,029    7,035        6
                                  STAT...calls to kcmgcs            2,047    2,056        9
                                  LATCH.shared pool                      8        17        9
                                  STAT...consistent changes            54        64        10
                                  STAT...db block gets                  54        66        12
                                  STAT...db block gets from cach        54        66        12
                                  STAT...db block changes              80        95        15
                                  STAT...session logical reads      7,083    7,101        18
                                  STAT...CPU used when call star        24        4      -20
                                  STAT...bytes received via SQL*    1,817    1,787      -30
                                  STAT...DB time                        61        4      -57
                                  STAT...undo change vector size    5,608    5,876      268
                                  STAT...redo size                  7,688    8,344      656
                                  STAT...logical read bytes from####################  147,456

Run1 latches total versus runs -- difference and pct
                                  Run1      Run2      Diff      Pct
                                  14,654      14,664          10      99.93%

1 2 Previous Next