5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 3:50 PM by 2710685

SQL Developer carts by cron

I'm doing some work with carts and they look really good. But I'm wondering if there is a way to create carts on a cron basis?

We're trying to version a very large DB (Schema, table defs, packages etc, not the data itself) and we don't have DBA access to it, but can make build carts.

Just looking for the most seamless solution

• 1. Re: SQL Developer carts by cron
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Check out the sdcli command, which makes certain SQL Developer GUI features available from the command line...

C:\Tools\sqldev420\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>sdcli

Available features:

cart: Database Cart Batch Tasks

dba: Basic Batch DBA Tasks

format: Format Task

migration: Database Migration Tasks

reports: Basic Batch Reporting Tasks

unittest: Unit Testing Batch Tasks

utility: Utility Import Task

C:\Tools\sqldev420\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>sdcli cart

CART Usage:

cart <command> <command arguments>

cart <command> -help|h

Supported commands:

export -cart <savedcart.xml> -config|cfg <exportconfig.xml> [-target|tgt <dirorfilename>] [-logfile <filenameorstderr>] [-deffile <exportdefinitionfile>]

cloud -cart <savedcart.xml> -config|cfg <deploycloudconfig.xml> [-target|tgt <filename>] [-logfile <filenameorstderr>] [<clouddefinitionfile>]

copy -cart <savedcart.xml> -config|cfg <copyconfig.xml> [-logfile|log <filenameorstderr>] [-deffile <copydefinitionfile>]

Examples:

cart export -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/exporttools.xml

Export the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in exporttools.xml

cart cloud -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/cloudtools.xml

Deploy the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in cloudtools.xml.

cart copy -cart /home/carts/cart.xml -cfg /home/carts/copytools.xml

Copy the objects included in cart.xml using the options saved in copytools.xml

• 2. Re: SQL Developer carts by cron

Thanks Gary Graham-Oracle

A quick question, If I'm using my cart to keep track of schema def changes, how would I allow the cart to look for new objects? Is there a way to do this through some script or would I have to manually rebuild the cart file each time?

• 3. Re: SQL Developer carts by cron
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

you'd have to manually update the cart

or

you could try to fiddle with the xml and script it yourself that way

• 4. Re: SQL Developer carts by cron
                Gary Graham-Oracle

As Jeff indicates, nothing out of the box for this.

If you are intent on using command line / batch processing, however, perhaps you could use SQLcl to run a script (Java script) to find all objects created since the last time the cart xml file was updated, then update the cart xml to include the new objects.  This xml has a very simple structure.  Not sure if your Java script could then in turn make sdcli cart calls from within SQLcl.  Just a thought.

• 5. Re: SQL Developer carts by cron

Thanks thatJeffSmith-Oracle and Gary Graham-Oracle for your help guys. Appreciated.