4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 7:34 AM by Saro

Value is not appearing in prompt if its user input is of text field

Saro

Hi friends,

Im in obiee 11.1.1.7.150120

I have a column prompt with a presentation variable p_col_list like below

gianni11.PNG

I have a second variable prompt with the user input as text field and its default selection as sql results(where it brings the value based upon the first prompt @{p_col_list}. The below is my second prompt screenshot

gianni12.PNG

SELECT "3-MP-P2P"."Prompt_List"."col_code" s_1

FROM "3-MP-P2P"

WHERE (LOCATE("3-MP-P2P"."Prompt_List"."col_name",'@{p_col_list}') > 0)

AND RANK("3-MP-P2P"."Prompt_List"."col_sort") = 1

so based upon my first prompt value the second variable prompt has to show the value in its default selection.

Now while testing like below, after the selection of first column prompt value and hitting apply button then the second variable column value has to appear according to the sql that is written. But in my case it is not appearing like below.

gianni13.PNG

But if my second prompt user input is of type choice list and if i give the sql results for the choice list like below

gianni14.PNG

Now if im testing it means, then it is working as it is bringing the value in my second prompt choice list after selecting the first prompt value and hitting apply button like below

gianni15.PNG

But im wondering why the default value in the second prompt, is not working with the user input of text field and it is working with the user input of choice list. How can i make it to work if the user input is of text field for my second prompt. Where could be the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saro

• 1. Re: Value is not appearing in prompt if its user input is of text field
          Madasamy-Oracle

Hello Saro,

The Prompts sql queries are executed as soon as they are loaded on the dashboard. You cannot use presentation variable from the first prompt and assign it in sql query of the second prompt. You can use session variables which can be defined in the rpd and populate the values.

I tried the below scenario and that works for me

a. Create two prompts, one which sets the presentation column

b. Second prompt ( in my screenshot, its the bottom one), consumes the presentation variable and use it on the default values.

c. I tried the same on the check box and also the drop down list, both works fine on the default values.

-M

• 2. Re: Value is not appearing in prompt if its user input is of text field
            Saro

Hi Madasamy,

I couldnt clearly get with your solution. You meant that i cant use presentation variable and instead do i need to rely on session variable for this text field prompt to work to populate default value based upon the parent prompt selection[where the presentation variable is initialized]

Kindly clarify.

Thanks,

Regards,

Saro

• 3. Re: Value is not appearing in prompt if its user input is of text field
              Madasamy-Oracle

its never about session variable.

But as per my understanding, you cant expect a default selection based on a Presentation variable to be available on the prompt where it is set using a column prompt.

Hence, you need to have two separate prompts, one to set and one to consume ( text variable prompt consuming the presentation variable).

BTW, i created a doc and already passed you on.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Value is not appearing in prompt if its user input is of text field
                Saro

Hi Madasamy,

Do you mean that i need to have my child prompt as a seperate prompt instead of having that along with the parent prompt?

If i have my child prompt as a seperate prompt means, then the value can pass from my parent to child prompt, but the report which uses child prompt will not get the value from the child prompt, because once the child prompt received the value then i need to refresh the page or i need to hit the apply button related to my child prompt.

Is this is the only case or is there any alternative soln. Did you get my point.

Thanks,

Saro