5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 5:32 PM by Patrick Gendron

OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed

Patrick Gendron

Hi everyone, this is my first post so if something is missing to be more relevant, just advise me.

Here is my problem.  In the selection steps, I try to create a new group but in my member list I cannot choose some members because they are not displayed in my list.

These members are from a calculated dimension with some nested Case When Then Else.  I tried to put first the "case when" that brings me the values that are missing in my member list but nothing changed.

If you check my dimension values below in the "case when" my values 'HGI - All' and 'HGI - All' are not displayed in the list to create a new group in selection steps.

What is the problem with OBIEE, how can I solve that?

Also, is it possible to manually type my value that I want instead of choosing from a list, those wizards sometimes are very frustating?

Here is the sample of my dimension having the "case when":

CASE WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00180' THEN ('HGI - All')

ELSE

(

CASE WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00170' THEN ('HGM - All')

ELSE

(

CASE WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00100'

THEN

(CASE WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 100' THEN 'HGA - Pétrole'

ELSE (CASE WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 200' THEN 'HGA - Lub'

ELSE (CASE WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 400' THEN 'HGA - Dép' ELSE ('HGA - Autres')

END)

END)

END)

ELSE

('Autre Société')

END

)

END

)

END

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

• 1. Re: OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed
          Patrick Gendron

I tried to simplify my expression with no success.

Simplified expression for my dimension:

CASE WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00180' THEN ('HGI - All')

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00170' THEN ('HGM - All')

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00100'

THEN

(CASE WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 100' THEN 'HGA - Pétrole'

WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 200' THEN 'HGA - Lub'

WHEN RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 400' THEN 'HGA - Dép' ELSE ('HGA - Autres')

END)

ELSE

('Autre Société')

END

Please help,

Patrick

• 2. Re: OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed
            Thomas Dodds

Why not build a logical column in the RPD that achieves this?  Build once -- use many.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed
              Patrick Gendron

You are right that should work but I don't have access yet to the RPD (we have one access for 3 person) and it is for a very specific usage of one chart and don't think someone else will need it.

Is there another way to achieve it and not to make pollution in the RPD for something very specific?

Thanks,

Patrick

• 4. Re: OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed
                Thomas Dodds

"don't think someone else will need it." - good luck! 

This is not pollution of the RPD - it's logical manipulation of data which is the purpose and intent of the RPD.

As for 3 people sharing a single access to the RPD - this is development mismanagement -- not to mention risky.   I suggest setting up a MUD environment and that way you have a backup and all changes must check in successfully and the MUD Master RPD must be consistent before deployment to development server for IT testing, then it goes on to QA for User Testing, then finally out to Production for General Use.

having said that and going against my own better judgement:

Your case can easily be done in Answers using bins ...

col1 =

CASE WHEN  "Company"."Company Number" = '00100' AND RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 100' THEN 'HGA - Pétrole'

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00100' AND RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 200' THEN 'HGA - Lub'

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00100' AND RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4) = ' 400' THEN 'HGA - Dép'

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00100' AND RIGHT("Business Area"."Ligne d’affaire", 4)  NOT IN ('100','200','400') THEN ('HGA - Autres')

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00180' THEN ('HGI - All')

WHEN "Company"."Company Number" = '00170' THEN ('HGM - All')

ELSE

('Autre Société')

END

• 5. Re: OBIEE Selection steps new group member not listed
                  Patrick Gendron

Thanks Thomas for your help.

I know that your solution is the best even if it does not solve the mystery in selection steps, why it could not display all my 7 members !!!!!  It drives me crazy that kind of weird problems that should work!