8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 4:52 PM by Eimis Pacheco

can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?

Eimis Pacheco

Hello OBIEE Community,

I wanted to know if is possible to set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request? I mean, if I can fill the presentation variable in analytics with the results of a query made directly to my oracle database. If so, how?

Apart from this, How can I filter this direct database request based on a user selection.

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards

• 1. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
          Gianni Ceresa

Not really, a presentation variable can be set by using the "SET" syntax in LSQL and most frequently by prompts.

OBIEE 10G/11G - How to set a presentation variable ? [Gerardnico]

(first result in Google for "obiee+set+presentation+variable")

Eimis Pacheco wrote:

Apart from this, How can I filter this direct database request based on a user selection.

First result in Google for "obiee+variables+direct+database+request" :  OBIEE in IL: OBIEE - Direct Database Request and Presentation Variables

PS: for OBIEE questions it's better to ask directly in Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) as they will anyway move the threads there ...

• 2. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
            Eimis Pacheco

Ok Gianni thank for your answer. Now, I am completely sure of that based on your answer.

And please, you do not judge me if you do not know if I have investigated this. I just wanted to make sure of this. Do I do something wrong doing this? just making sure is bad?

This question is for you as well @Christian berg (as you like Gianni answer) and for everyone reading this. Feel free to explain what I am doing if I am doing something wrong, I am open.

As you can see in this image, you can see the date I have visited the page you are referring, because you right, that's why I already visited Gerardnico site.

and about this "for OBIEE questions it's better to ask directly in Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) as they will anyway move the threads there"

I have opened all my threads in Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE),

Why do you think something different? and the worst part is that people can believe you.

I will show you what space I always select, maybe I need to do something else:

Is everyone OK with my evidence? Hahaha, I have proved I am not a criminal as Gianni says, if I have done something else, please, show me the image.

Despite everything I really appreciate your answers. Have a lovely day.

• 3. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
              Gianni Ceresa

Hi Eimis,

Breath in, breat out (and do it few more times ).

There isn't anything wrong in asking something you searched and you aren't sure about.

But ...

If you look How to Ask Questions in Developer Community Spaces  again (it's not my document, Timo wrote it, you "met" him on one of your duplicated thread yesterday).

Really try to keep in mind the 10 points listed there.

So: did you search and couldn't find so you believe it's not possible but want to be sure? Then write it on your thread, say what you did and tested. If you don't how are we supposed you aren't just randomly asking here with no prior research and tests? And because you complained few times we were all saying things you already know and you were expecting something else try to understand it's quite difficult to know what YOU know or not.

For the location where you post actually it's in the Business Intelligence most of the time while your questions are about OBIEE and not "Business Intelligence" (as a general topic), so that's why I suggest you post directly in the Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE)  forum. The generic Business Intelligence one is just an entry point but there you also find EPM, ODI and few other things. (Your screenshot actually show you use "Business Intelligence" instead of the OBIEE place, nothing bad with it, the point to write directly in OBIEE is to avoid the admins/mods to move your things and so you don't find them anymore in the same place. I'm not going to upload a screenshot proving you it's a different forum, there is no point in doing it).

More in general all I can say is relax: it is a public forum, people connect when they can from everywhere around the world. There isn't a per-timezone list of threads or things like that, everybody see the same list of questions. Try to be as detailed as possible when asking your questions (keeping in mind the 10 points of the "how to ask..."), if you need to add something you forgot add it to the same thread, inside, to keep all the pieces in the same discussion. The idea to avoid double posting or cross posting is more for you than others: double posts get less attention because people know you will probably not follow up all the copies. And it also make things more complicated for other users, when searching something they end up with many times the same things in different places without finding a real answer. This is a general rule valid on all the forums you can find online.

Final word: do not think people on here are against you (talking about being a criminal etc.), it's more about the attitude I would say (my own opinion). Complaining you only get answers with things you already know and blaming people for not understanding what you have on your screen or in your requirement papers but also not providing inputs to drive the discussion in a different way will never solve anything: you get frustrated because you take things personally. Keep in mind contributions here are done during free time, we all (almost all) have a life. We do not spend our time here trying to make yours more difficult. That's why the "relax" and "breath in, breath out" ...

PS: have a look at https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=obihackers , it will be easier to maybe get the final answer around these variables and exchange rate thing ...

• 4. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
                Eimis Pacheco

Ok Gianni,

I will look for OBIEE place, as I do not know how to do this.

Yes, I supposed you are right when you said that you do not have to know what I already know or not know. But to be honest with you when @Christian Berg and you said "OBIEE is not about writing SQL by hand" I felt a little bit frustrated, why? because for me, this is a very BASIC knowledge to know from the beginning.

And I have always done my analysis with the dimension available from the repository, without needing direct database request (remember I am not a senior like the gurus here as you can see)

and yes, I felt like judged by @Christian Berg and you without knowing me (I always ask google before, of course) , and I felt frustrated with the other answers. Well, Maybe I need an Psychologist to handle this (Hahaha)  and because I am the only one with BI in my company , and II am not just with BI.

I may sound very very silly, but @Christian Berg and you made me feel like a slacker, a bad professional, maybe you hurt my ego. Do you see my point. Now I see yours.

• 5. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
                  Christian Berg

Eimis Pacheco wrote:

when @Christian Berg and you said "OBIEE is not about writing SQL by hand" I felt a little bit frustrated, why? because for me, this is a very BASIC knowledge to know from the beginning.

Because that is precisely NOT the point of OBIEE.

That's like buying a stove and then putting fire wood in it to heat it instead of turning it on.

Edit: And @ references use and underscore ("_") when  there's blank space in the name otherwise they don't work at all

• 6. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
                    Gianni Ceresa

From "Business Intelligence" you go to "Subspaces", there you go to "Business Intelligence Foundation" and then into "Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE)". Or just click here: Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition (OBIEE)

Do not underestimate the number of people joining this forum with a query and asking "how do I make this one work in OBIEE" ? So when there is a piece of SQL posted the first, automatic, answer is that OBIEE is modelling vs. SQL Developer to run queries.

So glad we apparently understand each other better ...

(And as said for your thing with exchange rate / variables or just OBIEE if your company doesn't block the link click the one in the PS in my previews message ...)

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
                      Eimis Pacheco

Yes, I perfectly understood your point from the beginning, every BI Developer should knows this (that's why I was frustrated). I absolutely agree with you and Gianni. My point was that Of course, what you and Gianni said is something so basic that I thought we could take it for granted. I said before as well that just sometimes is direct database request (but we should not abuse of direct database request), well, this is my first time I thought I needed.

Regards

• 8. Re: can I set a presentation variable with the results of a direct database request ?
                        Eimis Pacheco

Hi Gianni,

Thank you, this is helpful, I will look for your post about exchange rate / variables.

I will ask you something in the other thread, as I think the question that I am going to ask belong to my first thread

Regards