1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 6:57 PM by jaramill

Is ANSI syntax required for Oracle SQL certification exams?

millsychris

I have been writing SQL and PLSQL for well over 10 years and given that I learned to write SQL using Oracle I have always used Oracle JOIN syntax.

It is not clear from the exam syllabuses whether ANSI syntax will be used to frame questions or whether Oracle's own join syntax (e.g. using for outer joins) will be used?

Do I need to bone up on ANSI syntax prior to taking "Oracle Database 12c SQL" or 1Z0-071 exam?

Thanks to anyone who has taken this exam and can let me know.

FYI: I will also be taking the Advanced PLSQL exam in the near future so the answer will also be relevant for that exam.

Chris

• 1. Re: Is ANSI syntax required for Oracle SQL certification exams?
          jaramill

millsychris wrote:

I have been writing SQL and PLSQL for well over 10 years and given that I learned to write SQL using Oracle I have always used Oracle JOIN syntax.

It is not clear from the exam syllabuses whether ANSI syntax will be used to frame questions or whether Oracle's own join syntax (e.g. using for outer joins) will be used?

Do I need to bone up on ANSI syntax prior to taking "Oracle Database 12c SQL" or 1Z0-071 exam?

Thanks to anyone who has taken this exam and can let me know.

FYI: I will also be taking the Advanced PLSQL exam in the near future so the answer will also be relevant for that exam.

Chris

Did you bother to look at the "Exam Topics" for both of those exams?  You'd know the answer if you did.

But FYI -....NO.  Oracle has not asked any questions involving SQL queries using the ANSI syntax (not in the 1Z0-047 exam that gets you the OCE SQL, and not in the 1Z0-144 exam that gets you the OCA PL/SQL).  I know as I took (and passed both) and there was no ANSI.

And if you look at both exam topics for both OCP PL/SQL exams (11g - 1Z0-146, 12c - 1Z0-148), you would find the same thing...NO ANSI.

If it's not stated then it won't be tested.