1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2017 8:45 PM by Brandye Barrington-Oracle

First OCM 11g in Central America

HDeiby

I started to work with Oracle Technology when I was 18 years old for a Company in Guatemala, I started to read several books about different fields of Oracle like Administration, Upgrades, Backup and Recovery, Tuning, etc. For me it was really difficult to start working with Oracle technology because at that time I didn't know English. However, after some months I was reading all books easily. Firstable I got the Oracle Certified Professional 11g (OCP 11g) Certification, then I upgraded to Oracle Certified Professional 12c. In 2014 I decided to travel to US and pass the Oracle Certified Master 11g exam, and at the age of 24 years old I became the first Oracle Certified Master 11g (OCM 11g) in Central America and the youngest in Latin America. At the age of 25 years old I was designed an Oracle ACE Director, at that time I started different projects, I was speaker in events like Oracle Open World (USA an Brasil) and Collaborate in Las Vegas, USA.  I started to prepare all the topics and scenarios to pass the Oracle Certified Master 12c which I did in 2016 and again the first OCM 12c in Central America at this moment. The hardest certification were OCM 11g and OCM 12c, I remember well because it took me several months to get ready for those exams. I practiced all the days after work, I went to sleep around 3:00am every day. I was hard but now I can say "it worths", I will tell you some of the benefits of these certifications bellow. I also was involved in others two projects like to be a Technical Reviewer of the book "Oracle Database 12c Release 2 Multitenant (Oracle Press)" and to be co-author of the book "Oracle Database 12c Release 2 Testing Tools and Techniques for Performance and Scalability", and I founded Nuvola Consulting Group, a company that nowadays is providing Oracle Consulting Services around the world.  Said that short story, I can say that certifications are really worth and I will tell you why:

• When you are preparing for a certification you have to read and to practice, a lot. When you finally pass a certification you feel well, but when you think all the knowledge you got while preparing every topic and every scenario you will find out that you have a lot of new concepts and you cleared some wrong concepts. You are now faster implementing solutions and you expanded the syntax you knew before to start preparing.
      • You have less stress. Stress is a feeling that makes you get sick, impacts your performance at the work, and one of its reasons of stress is "not knowing", if you don't know how to implement a solution or install a product or to fix a problem you get stress because you are against the time, the customer is there calling you every 5 minutes, and you have to provide the solution as soon as possible. The process that all the DBA pass through to get a certification makes the DBA to expand the knowledge which has as a result to have less stress.
      • You inspire others, Once I became the first Oracle Certified Master 11g in Central America I saw several others professionals starting to prepare hardly to become also an OCM 11g. This is really good because you are forcing more people to move to the "next level" and you are improving the competitivity of the professionals in your country.
      • You become a known person in the community. When you are at conferences, you meet people that tell you "hey! I read your articles" or "hey! congratulations for your OCM 11g".
      • Of course you get more projects and you can apply for better jobs! When you are applying to a job, the companies see your professional history, they schedule a technical interview, but also they see certifications. Certifications don't guarantee you are an expert, but it helps. HR likes certifications, because certifications help companies to get new projects.
      • You can include the certification logos in your email, your CV, your website, your blog, etc. It gives prestige to your marketing material.
      • Your enforce the commitment that you have with your customers. Customers trust on you, they trust that you will fix the issues or that you will provide solutions. With all the huge knowledge you get while preparing every certification you are enforcing that commitment.

Author:

Deiby Gómez

Twitter: @hdeiby

• 1. Re: First OCM 11g in Central America
          Brandye Barrington-Oracle

Hi Deiby,

Thanks for submitting your story! We'd like to use your story on our Oracle Certification Blog. Could you send some additional information via email?

Please send an email to ocpreq_ww@oracle.com with the subject line "Tell Us Your Story - Blog Post"

- Attach a photo if you'd like to include a photo on the post.

- Include your mailing address to receive the Oracle Certified Journal.

Please remember the Giveaway Terms

Anyone who submits a story on how Oracle Certification has helped their career, through the Tell Us Your Story section of the Oracle Certification Community, will receive an Oracle Certification branded journal. Offer is good January 11, 2017 through June 30, 2017. No purchase necessary. Must provide valid shipping address. Must be 18 or older. Government/Public Sector employees, Oracle employees and their family members, and residents of Quebec and countries under US embargo are not eligible to participate. Limit one per person. While supplies last.

Thanks!

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program