4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 10:49 AM by Souvik Manna

Query regarding OBIEE Baseline Validation Tool

Souvik Manna

Hi

While doing regression testing using OBIEE BVT, can we use impersonation to login to Analytics?

I copied the impersonation URL as

<AnalyticsURL>http://hostname:port/analytics/saw.dll?bieehome&nquser=username&nqpassword=password&impersonate=username</AnalyticsURL>

but it did not work.

I need to test some user built reports which are saved in user's my folder. Is there any other workaround?

• 1. Re: Query regarding OBIEE Baseline Validation Tool
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

AnalyticsURL must have the format http://<servername>:<port>/analytics and you can't add other parameters there.

As you have the username and password define them as a new Deployment using the UserName and Password fields and with this new deployment you run tests only on the content you need to test in /users. Because of the security you must login with that user directly as BVT doesn't really do what you do yourself in a browser and so NQUser and NQPassword can't be used (webservice authentication doesn't accept that).

Probably easier if you use separate config files per user, so you can have a "big" one using an account with access to your /shared contents and then multiple config files taking care only of the content you must test in the /users folder (so one config file for each user).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Query regarding OBIEE Baseline Validation Tool
            Souvik Manna

Hi Gianni

Thank you for your response.

But I think we can't use separate config files per user as we will the need to provide user password in the file, which we are not aware of. We generally use "Impersonation" or "Act as" feature to login to Analytics as different user.

• 3. Re: Query regarding OBIEE Baseline Validation Tool
              Gianni Ceresa

Of course you will need to know the password, and I can see that as being a issue ...

I would say BVT was probably developed focusing highly on the /shared content as that's the most important one when doing a migration and trying to speed up regression testing.

Content into the user folder is under the responsibility of the user and generally accepted that the user must do his own checks (and if you validated your model still works fine with the the tests of /shared any issue happening on content inside /users must be managed by the user himself.

What's your use case exactly? Why do you want/need to test content inside home folders? Is that a one shot migration or something else?

Because you can maybe copy the content inside /shared for the time of the regression validation and if any issue found you notify the user about that and let him know what he will need to care about.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Query regarding OBIEE Baseline Validation Tool
                Souvik Manna

Hi Gianni

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, we also thought of the same approach to test user built reports.

It is going to be an one shot migration but we are still in POC stage. We are working on few requirements, one of them being the regression testing for user built reports by the IT support team post migration.