7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 4:29 PM by rp0428

How to connect to HR Schema?

NavinG

Hi All,

I have recently installed SQL Developer Windows 32-bit/64-bit on VDI environment and struggling to connect to HR schema. So i tried connecting to it with username and password being the same (as hr) and the rest of the information as Hostname: localhost, port: 1521 and SID: XE or ORCL.

The error that i am getting is : Test failed:IO error: The network adapter could not establish a connection

Sorry for my ignorance, however i am learning SQL and i need a platform to practice my queries, hence the effort.

Please if anyone can help me to establish a connection or direct to the correct method, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Regards,

Navin

• 1. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
          B.Delmée

Hello, have you actually installed the Oracle express database (XE) on the same system ?

Sqldeveloper is the front-end GUI to query a back-end database server; the server can reside on the same system or be accessed over a network, but the front-end always needs a db to talk to.

Also, if i am not mistaken, the HR schema is not deployed by default  but only if you explicitly install it (but i may be wrong as i have not used XE in a long while)

• 2. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
            NavinG

Thanks for your reply!

I was under an impression that HR schema is part of SQL developer to which you can connect and run queries on, and that you don't need any database to be installed for.

However now i guess the HR schema is by default a part of oracle database, which i have not installed.

My friend here was so sure that he has not installed any database and that with SQL developer only he has connected to HR schema on his personal laptop at home, Wonder how?

Regards,

Navin

• 3. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
              Gaz in Oz

My friend here was so sure that he has not installed any database and that with SQL developer only he has connected to HR schema on his personal laptop at home, Wonder how?

Your friend there can have a look at the properties of their connection which will reveal how and where they are connecting to.

(tns alias, jdbc connection, tns string, ezconnect...) What ever the connection method, the details of the connection will tell what machine the database is on, what the name of the database is (service_name or sid).

Any way, looking at their connection properties will reveal all.

Cheers,

Gaz.

• 4. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

He has a database, that's the only way.

Here are a few avenues for you - the VBox appliance can be up and running in less than 30 minutes if you have a fast network and disk on your machine.

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/12/i-have-oracle-sql-developer-installed-now-what/

• 5. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
                  EdStevens

NavinG wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I was under an impression that HR schema is part of SQL developer to which you can connect and run queries on, and that you don't need any database to be installed for

. No, as others stated, SQL Developer is just a front-end tool.  You still have to have a database.

However now i guess the HR schema is by default a part of oracle database, which i have not installed.

Well, the HR schema (actually, any, every, and all schemas) are part of a database.  But it is not a default part of every database.  You have to install the rdbms software.  Then you have to create a database.  Then you have to create the HR schema within that database.

Your friend has much to learn. If he is connecting, then he has a database. How did he get it? He, or someone had to install the software (the rdbms software, not SQL Dev) , then create the database, then create the schema.  Some tools may have automated that .. the rdbms installer gives you the option of creating a database at the same time you install, and that may have an option to create the sample scheamas.  But he most certainly didn't get it just by installing SQL Dev.

• 6. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?
                    NavinG

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, this all make sense! I will install a database and will try to connect it with SQL developer.

Much Appreciated!

Regards,

Navin

• 7. Re: How to connect to HR Schema?

Then please mark the thread ANSWERED.